Incorparating Commute intoTraining???

Chrisw1980
Chrisw1980 Posts: 39
I work shifts so my training is like this 3 days 3 nights 3 off On the 3 days and nights i commute which is 12miles each way then on my off days i have a long ride of about 60-75 miles in the middle i use a heart rate monitor and keep it in the right zone for my longer ride, but i was wondering on the shorter commutes what heart rate zones should i use to get the best results???

my resting heart rate is 47
My maximum heart rate is 203 (on the longer rides i keep it between 60-70%)

Thanks Chris

Comments

• andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

The answer is: it depends.

It depends on what your training aims are.

My general advice though would be to ride the 10 miles as fast as you can manage on the way home (don't worry about the hrm), but take it easy on the way in as a recovery ride.

Cheers, Andy
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Hi Chris,

I use my commute as training, 17 miles on the way in and 16 on the way home. I basically just ride both ways near enough as hard as I can. With stopping or slowing down for a few roundabouts/junctions, and a few hills, I guess it's a bit like an interval session; I'm not totally knackered by the time I get to work/home, but I definitely feel like I've done some work. I've undoubtedly benefitted a lot from doing this, BUT, I should point out that I don't often commute by bike on consecutive days, so if you are going to do that Andy's idea of easy in/hard home sounds sensible to me too.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    In hard, easy out, or vice versa is the way to go. I do a 22 mile commute 4 days a week, and definately need some recovery time. I try to vary my rides a bit, for instance I'll have an interval session on the way in, ride home as fast as I can, and then have a recover session the next morning, ramp it up a bit that evening, and repeat untill the end of the week. Incorporating intervals had brought on my speed and hill climbing no end.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • sjeffer
    sjeffer Posts: 47
    I use my commute for training, I usually adjust the route to get the desired duration (10-16miles)/hilliness. I usually do the hard session in the morning either at TT intensity (86-92% of MHR) or various intervals of 12mins@ 86-92%MHR/3mins rest, repeat 3-5 times. The ride home is usually recovery or endurance pace (75-80% of MHR). I try to avoid too many hard consecutive training days. I am training for some hilly sportives this year and this training has improved the climbing nicely.
    'I am an optimist. It does not seem to be much use being anything else.' - Sir Winston Churchill.
  • I do 10 miles each way and at the moment it is easy in and hard home everyday, except I can't help doing the last 2 miles on the way in hard for some reason. On the way home I warm up in an easy gear for a mile and then tank it for 9 and attack any uphills (there aren't many). I'm knackered when I get home.