Would you want advice on a ride if you hadn't asked for it?

2»

Comments

• shogunsteve
    shogunsteve Posts: 209
    ColinJ wrote:
    I was out on a tough hilly ride yesterday (the Brian Robinson Challenge), and saw several riders who were struggling on hills, but who had saddle positions that were what I'd say were way too low (they were pedalling with their knees sticking well out).

I find climbing with a low saddle very difficult. I felt tempted to say something to them, but wondered whether they might have told me to mind my own business, so that's what I did.

Was I wrong? Should I have offered the advice? Would you want a complete stranger to politely point out something like that to you?

I would say you did the right thing. Its not cool to say stuff to anyone, otherwise where does it end??!!

My personal opinion is that, ven though I dont take myself too seriously, my riding is perfect and so is my bike, and even if that isnt the case, its only my closest friends who can tell me otherwise.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    The problem with giving people unsolicited advice is that it always implies "I am more knowledgeable than you", whether meant like that or not. And usually, in the back of the advisor's mind, that's the case. It's just showing off...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Maybe a cheery "How ya doing...... struggling as bad as me?" would solicit a conversation whereby you could determine if they were willing to accept advice. You never know...... they could be ex pro or absolute noobs out of their depth. Either way, the above question would put them more at ease than instant, and possibly unwelcome. advice. May even find someone to share the work with for the rest of the ride