Coming back to cycling

BIGplumberon2wheels
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hello all
Finding my life has become less and less active, and my obvious weight gain now uncomfortable (6' 3" tall and near 18 stone) at 109Kg, I am going to use the cycle to work scheme to buy a bike.
The £999.99 Boardman road bike is my selection (hoping it will be capable of taking the strain.
Any tips or pointers to a guy returning to cycling after far too long would be gratefully recieved.

Jay
Anyone Close?

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Just take it steady when you first get back on it.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Good luck with the new bike Jay. It might well be worth checking out some of the posts within the training section (esp. those sticky one's at the top for some advice).
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Keep a riding log.

Buy a computer to measure your miles, speed etc from day 1. It may appear a bit nerdy, but it really helps with the motivation. You can see how much you are improving (and you will) and you can set yourself mileage targets to get you out on the bike on those days when it seems preferable to stay in and have a sandwich.

Good luck. I've been back on my bike for 10 years. Actually, I haven't lost much weight overall, but I am much, much, much fitter (and muscle weighs more than fat, anyway! :D )

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Nice bike choice!

Definitely keep a log of your distances/times/whatever info you might want to look back on. Before I set up my bike computer, I wrote it down - and still do if I'm getting in some indoor training on the static gym bikes - which have to be the most uncomfortable machines ever!

Being able to look back and see where you started from is a definite motivator - and I absolutely agree with pneumatic - in the end you may not weigh much different to when you started, but you will look different and feel a whole lot fitter.

Best of luck!
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Everydaycycling.com has an Activity log for recording all your rides, distances, speeds etc. It might not mean much now but give it a few months and you should get a kick out of the improvement.

Nice bike now get to work on the engine.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Any tips or pointers to a guy returning to cycling after far too long would be gratefully recieved.

Jay

Gel padded gloves - a comfy saddle - padded cycling shorts or longs - reasonable bar height so you're not putting too much weight on your hands when first starting out on a road bike - get a Smart Superflash Rear light (or similar) - be safe/seen, (gives motorists less excuse with SMIDSY) - Start off with short rides - you can get a reasonable workout from 5-10 milers (with sufficient intensity) - get used to doing lifesavers at speed (looking over your right shoulder) - helps before coming across and turning right. Get used to cliping-in, cliping out (if you're starting with clipless). Get a Track pump for use at home - easy and reliable way to keep your tyres at 110-120 PSI. Make sure you're using reasonable tyre pressures to take you're 18 stone weight - make sure the wheels are up to the job aswell (ask here in advance, if you're not sure). Get a drinks bottle - always nice to have some orange squash (or similar) during a ride. As the weeks/months go on, get a bit more familar with removing wheels/quick release levers, swapping innertubes etc (always handy to know the basics) - read up a bit on cleaning and lubing your drivetrain (chain, chainset and cassette).
  • Thank you to everyone who have given their advise to my previous post..... it is very re-assuring to know the world still has some like minded helpfull folks about.

I have taken all you advise on board, and although my bike has not arrived yet :cry: I am following up on all your tips.

Its pricey 'I know'' but the Garmin 705 GPS all singing all dancing computer looks good, and with the benefit of being able to attach a heart attack monitor :) and plan/record routes is impressive, not forgetting the get you back home mode for when your lost.

I have checked the afore mentioned web site reference training programmes, very helpfull. I also picked up a copy of the leading 3 cycle mags that had some details about begiinner training programmes.

I have yet to purchase any clothing or accessories, I will need everything like shorts, jerseys, tights, shoes, pedals, tools etc etc.

Any advice on these items would be great, I appreciate you time and knowledge with all your comments.

Jay
    Anyone Close?