Tour of Flanders 2009 now open!

124»

Comments

• Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Thanks for the info guys. I thought it might be the PTI building but I didn't want to assume (you know what that does to people!).

I'll be in Yorkshire Velo kit if anyone wants to push me up some bergs.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I'll be in an old Kelme Spanish champion's jersey, riding like the Spanish usually do at Flanders :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Getting very excited too! I'll be in a Kingston Wheeler jersey. There's a few of us going. Will look out for the Luton and Manchester kits. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    cjcp wrote:
    Getting very excited too! I'll be in a Kingston Wheeler jersey. There's a few of us going. Will look out for the Luton and Manchester kits. :)

So how did it go?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Hated the cycle lanes but loved the cobbles....................and climbs. Did the 260km in under 9hrs (ride time) and felt strong so pretty chuffed considering the ups and downs with training so this year. Particulary sweet was climbing the Koppenburg where I failed in 2006. Even more so on a 39x25 lowest gear.

I gave my 2006 Madone a workout on the cobbles. The poor bike must have taken a battering but it took it in it's stride . Pity the same couldn't be said for my 705 Garmin bike mount. (Hunt the 705!) Water bottle ( Yep I lost one and I had "grippy" cages on especially for it) and Fizik saddle bag (snapped the plastic support). I was running the Pave tyres and rate them highly. Fast and grippy and they look as good as new. Well maybe not so green now.................
    Paul
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    That was off the hook. What an amazing day! Did the 140km in 5hrs 40mins, all the major climbs, the cobbles, loved it, brilliant! Was dead by the end, but definately going back next year!! Not sure yet if I'll go for the full distance - think that depends on the weather - but definately doing the 140km again.

BTW, friend of mine says it was on the radio that there were 20,000 riders on the day, compared to 10,600 pre-registrations - the queues at Ninove weren't too bad, but then I left early. Crazy Flandriens!

Watched the race on the top of the Mur (Kapel-de-Mur), great stuff!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Really enjoyed it, much easier than last year, I think for a few reasons

Less wind, less rain, less snow, pave tyres and better legs. Sat in the mega packs for the first 120k’s, then felt strong on every climb and a full on road race finish with everybody attacking each-other over the Bosberg and the fly into Ninove. The traction on the cobbles was amazing this time, even out of the saddle on the steepest part of the K’berg was possible, never had that before.

Race day was spent on the Muur and great seeing Nicole looking resplendent in her rainbow jersey too. It was very sunny and very beery, a few too many Westemalle’s, Rochefort 8’s and frites & frinkandel from frituur Obelix. Meant a painful rise this morning, but all worth it, great weekend. In the diary again for next year.
  • Mar ge
    Mar ge Posts: 88
    There were something like 19.5k participants on the Saturday and allegedly up to 4k on the Friday, hence from next year the event will also officially include the Friday too.

Though perhaps that will mean the Friday participants (most of which choose to avoid the Saturday due to the congestion or reluctance to pay for roads that we can ride every other day for free) move to Thursday.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Mar ge wrote:
    There were something like 19.5k participants on the Saturday and allegedly up to 4k on the Friday, hence from next year the event will also officially include the Friday too.

Though perhaps that will mean the Friday participants (most of which choose to avoid the Saturday due to the congestion or reluctance to pay for roads that we can ride every other day for free) move to Thursday.

there's no marshalling on the "pre" days though right? I only had to wait maybe 3 times - two of which were for lights, and I wouldn't fancy flying through some of those junctions as I did without a marshall stopping traffic(!)
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Mar ge
    mclarent wrote:
    Mar ge wrote:

there's no marshalling on the "pre" days though right? I only had to wait maybe 3 times - two of which were for lights, and I wouldn't fancy flying through some of those junctions as I did without a marshall stopping traffic(!)

This is Flanders we're talking about here. Cyclists have more rights than cars here :)
    Joking aside - the alleged 4k on the Friday were indeed riding without marshals though many of the private feeding stations were open.
    I am not sure how easy it will be for the organisers to find marshals for the proposed official Friday event in 2010.
    Personally I don't think it will work out, primarily becuase we have so many options in Belgium for sportives. (I didn't ride the road event this year but where the MTB & road routes came together it didn't seem crazy busy either?)
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    All I can say after doing the 140km ride on Satdi is that Belgium is heaven on earth. The whole weekend was awesome - and I also discovered the hidden jewel that is Gent :)
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • cjcp
    Yep, had a really good ride and a brilliant weekend.

Was much more confident over the cobbles this time around - managed 40.6mph down the straight, cobbled descent whereas I practically crawled down it last time - and managed the Koppenberg without touching down :D , although fell sideways in the banking on the left hand side of the Muur just after the steps when a chap in front of me stopped and I didn't have the energy to change direction quickly enough. :oops: Earned some brownie points by getting off at the top of the Muur to give the good wife a big kiss :) . Legs eventually gave up on the Bosberg. Didn't eat enough during the ride and started to pedal squares.

I last rode it in 2007, but I don't remember the long stretch of cobbles after about 12 miles. They were great fun, but were they there last year?

They need to sort out that scrum at registration though. Something similar to check-in at airports might be an idea.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    an yet none of you took photos - tut! :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    Took a few. Just need to download them!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • firsthippy
    firsthippy Posts: 639
    Here's my report on my first Tour of Flanders weekend..
    http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=1286

Here's some pics too..
    http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/thumbna ... ?album=252

Awesome!
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    DSC08177.jpg
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    itboffin wrote:
    Did the 70km with my lad (13). We did 65 miles including riding to/from hotel, which is about 20 miles more than he's ever done before so he slept well Saturday night!

3417213413_8ca03344ed.jpg
    Had to take a pic after he climbed the Muur with no dabs - very proud of him! 8)

........and his reward..............

3417213195_7d1f51f428.jpg

He thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend so a great sucess and he's proudly wearing his "Official Flandrien" T-shirt now.

Good to meet Calv Jones (briefly) in the hotel - very jealous that you got to stay on another night with the Quickstep squad in the hotel as well. Did Stijn Devolder have the "fish in bacon" that caused a few of the CC Luton boys some concerns? :wink:
  • cjcp
    Bronzie wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Did the 70km with my lad (13). We did 65 miles including riding to/from hotel, which is about 20 miles more than he's ever done before so he slept well Saturday night!

Top effort.

I was thinking that I didn't see any Luton jerseys, but, seeing your son's gilet, I did see a couple of those on Saturday. Can't remember where though.

Here's one of me on the Muur (after I did a bit more than dab down :) ) - I'm in the centre, blue, white and red kit:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3555/3425308452_fd023faf35.jpg?v=0
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Mar ge
    All I can say after doing the 140km ride on Satdi is that Belgium is heaven on earth. The whole weekend was awesome - and I also discovered the hidden jewel that is Gent :)

Couldn't agree more (which I was I moved there :))

I can never understand why all the tourists go to Bruges but equally I won't try & drag them away from the place.

Apart from the weather Belgium is cycling heaven. Sometimes I'd like some longer hills but just the fact that you are warmly welcomed as a cyclist & not just a target for car drivers is already awesome.

There seemed to be more cars with British plates this year. That was a pleasant surprise considering I thought the exchange rate might turn a few people away...
    Come back and try some of the other sportives. The RvV is an amazing atmosphere but the riding is usually better on the events with less participants.