Tour of Flanders 2009 now open!

Comments

• fredjeraketje
    fredjeraketje Posts: 11
    edited December 2008
    They've announced the 2009 itinerary this week: http://rvv.be/rvv/elite-men/roadbook/
    Besides the first 100 k that are almost different every year, there are a few other little changes. No more Kluisberg, Nokereberg and Steneberg, but instead the Eikenberg who is back after one year of absence and the Varentberg. Maybe the most particular thing is that the 2009 edition will have 28 instead of 21 k of cobble stones. Also, the route between the Wolvenberg and the Oude Kwaremont has changed a bit. Those who have already done the sportive might remember a long boring stretch after Oudenaarde, but this year they go a little more north and do 3 long cobblestone sections before hitting the Oude Kwaremont. However, I have no idea how the sportive 2009 will look like, with the extra loop via these three sections, the distance would be rather 160 k instead of 140.
  • I want to do this ride ---- is it too late to get cheap accomadation ?

Can you sign on the line or is it best to pre enter?

Also what paper work do you need to enter ?

Anything else I should know

Equipment recommendations?

most importantly best pubs to go to afterwards?

I am doing the 90 mile event.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I want to do this ride ---- is it too late to get cheap accomadation ?
    Can you sign on the line or is it best to pre enter?
    Also what paper work do you need to enter ?
    Anything else I should know
    Equipment recommendations?
    most importantly best pubs to go to afterwards?
    I am doing the 90 mile event.
    Hi Pocket Rocket

Not sure the accom - it does get booked up pretty quick, but we found a cheap hotel in Aalst near the railway station in January last year so definitely still plenty of time.

You can enter on the line although with 20,000 riders starting, it can be a bit chaotic - better to enter in advance on the website. No medical certificate required if that's what you mean by "paperwork".

Equipment - 32 spoke Mavic Open Pros are ideal, but I've used Mavic Kysrium SLs the last 2 years with no problems. 24mm Vittoria Evo Pave tyres are ideal for the cobbles as they seem to have great grip, but 25mm Conti GP4000s or similar would probably do just as well.

There's a nice little bar on the left just after the finish line that is full of sweaty men in lycra telling tall tales if that's what you're after :wink:
  • Hey well done

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

maybe all the british riders should meet up at the end somewhere?
  • Bronzie
    maybe all the british riders should meet up at the end somewhere?
    You'd need a big bar - I think there are several hundred if not in the 1000's riding each year!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There is a bus service from the finish in Ninove to Bruges on the morning of the event - leaves at about 5am to get you to the start about 7 - you just need to sign up when you register. Accommodation near the finish is booked up by November, but plenty of big towns are nearby - it's only 30 minutes from Brussels. I've done the full route twice and hoping to go again this year. Get an early start and get yourself hooked-up with a peloton of 200-300 riders for the first 120km. You don't need a race license to enter either. After the first big cobble sector at Paadestraat the big bunches really break up. Riding pave takes a particular technique - follow the Flemish riders for the best lines and technique. If you've got the leg strength, you can ride the whole thing in the big ring - only the Koppenberg is the biggest problem due to mud and walking cyclists. The route from Bruges to Oudenaard tends to change slightly every year and from then on, it's pretty well the same route to the finish. I'd recommend the widest tyres you can fit and run them at a lower pressure - 5-6 bar for less 'bounce' and more traction - a double wrap of bar tape helps to reduce the sting on your arms. It's also obligatory to 'big-ring' the Bosberg and ride full-on to the finish!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The good lady just said "yes" to me entering! YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAA! :D

I am very, very pleased.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I stayed in Bruges - lots of hotels and some shopping to keep the missus entertained while I rode. The drive to Ninove was a piece of cake. The motorway hard shoulder is used as a car park for the event. You cant miss it.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I was thinking of doing this as a first Sportive. Only been riding since last year, so still working on getting the long distance fitness base, doing between 5-7 hours high end endurance on the turbo a week...

Is ToF going to be too much for a first try? Would I be better to do the short or medium distance?
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • cjcp
    The 140km route was my first sportive-style event, and didn't do much training - think my longest ride was around 50 miles the February beforehand. Really enjoyed it. No idea about the long route though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    The first 100K are pretty flat I think so the 140k is the best bet - this has all the Classic climbs.

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    Well, just booked it - 3 nights at the ibis in aalst has rooms for about €100 (so that's about £200....) & clams to have a locked car park.

If anyone wants to meet up for a v small Leffe, PM me

Strava is not Zen.
  • Bronzie
    calvjones wrote:
    Easier than that, I'll see you in the hotel foyer............there's about 20 from my club staying in the Ibis :)
  • calvjones
    Bronzie wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    Easier than that, I'll see you in the hotel foyer............there's about 20 from my club staying in the Ibis :)

Good stuff. What club? I'll look out for you.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Bronzie
    455680106_7487a810e9.jpg

CC Luton (presented by Tinkoff Credit Systems :wink: ). This was taken at the Ibis in 2007 - the Tinkoff team were staying there as well as a couple of the women's teams.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Grrr not going now

omg9hi.gif

Gotta watch my pennies. Bollox!!

But I hope all of youze that are going enjoy it!

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • calvjones
    vermooten wrote:
    Grrr not going now

omg9hi.gif

Gotta watch my pennies. Bollox!!

But I hope all of youze that are going enjoy it!

Andy

[gloat]Luckily, I have a conference in Leuven on the following Mon-Wed. So travel paid for :D [/gloat]

Strava is not Zen.
  • We have a group of 8 going for the first time this year, cant wait ! Bring it on !!
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Ride packs will not be sent to the UK now, you have to pick them up.

That made getting on the 5.30am bus from Ninove to Brugges tricky as the packs aren't available til 7am (assuming you can't pick it up the day before) and therefore you wouldn't have a ticket to get on the bus in the first place. Confusing.

But, after a (very painful) e-mail exchange with the organisers, apparently they will match your name to a list on the bus and then you pick up your pack in Brugge.
    Hope this helps a few people.

Let's hope we get wind, rain and hail for the full Flandrian experience. :P
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    le patron wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. They arrived very late last year, so it figures.
    le patron wrote:
    Let's hope we get wind, rain and hail for the full Flandrian experience. :P

Let's not. I'd like some sunshine, happiness and rainbows this time. 8)
  • calvjones
    Hoping to pick mine up the day before, but a bit concerned that I've not even had an email confirmation (though the money has been debited). If they match a list, I guess it will be OK.

The boys I was going with have cried off, so if you pass a wheezing Welsh bloke on an Airborne at the back, on his own, & up to the gills in Belgian Toothpaste, give me push :D

Strava is not Zen.
  • Mar ge
    Mar ge Posts: 88
    I expect I will give the road event a go again this year (with my MTB on slicks but I'll also swap onto a road cassette this time).
    Enjoyed the 140km last year but will probably go the whole hog with 250km, especially as it routes itself very close to my home before it passes Gent.

Transport remains a pain in the arse though regardless. I can stay with family in Brugge the night before so I don't have a stupidly silly start but then I still have to get back home from Ninove..

Is there any reason why some folks are staying in Aalst? (no offence to anyone from Aalst but was it cheap?) :)
  • calvjones
    Mar ge wrote:
    I expect I will give the road event a go again this year (with my MTB on slicks but I'll also swap onto a road cassette this time).
    Enjoyed the 140km last year but will probably go the whole hog with 250km, especially as it routes itself very close to my home before it passes Gent.

Transport remains a pain in the ars* though regardless. I can stay with family in Brugge the night before so I don't have a stupidly silly start but then I still have to get back home from Ninove..

Is there any reason why some folks are staying in Aalst? (no offence to anyone from Aalst but was it cheap?) :)

Ibis was cheap(ish), claims a secure car park and its only a few km from the start/finish of the 140km at Ninove.

Strava is not Zen.
  • cjcp
    Any recommendations for tyres assuming it's wet and 'orrible? I got away with 23mm Krylion Carbons two years ago, but it was bone dry then.

Cheers
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • calvjones
    Consensus seems to be Vittorio Open Pave, but I'll probably stick with my Conti Gatorskin 25s

Strava is not Zen.
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    conti 4season 23s kept me puncture free in the lame weather last year. rims got a dent and a couple of grazes though. it's certainly not a ride for nice wheels ;)
  • Mar ge
    Mar ge Posts: 88
    26 x 1.5 Schwalbe Kojaks :) unless the weather is really crappy when I'll stick to Michelin XC Hard Terrain 26 x 2.1

(I still have to decide which forks to use - the suspension forks are very nice on the cobbles)
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    le patron wrote:
    .................. Confusing.

But, after a (very painful) e-mail exchange with the organisers, :P

Where does it say this on the website?

I've emailed the organisers and have had nothing back, since your post
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • cjcp
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway