The Cat & Fiddle Road needs resurfacing

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited April 2009 in Campaign
BADLY! :shock:

Some parts of it are just shocking! It's supposed to be a dangerous road but I reckon all those high-speed motorbike crashes could be avoided if the road was smoothed over and the gravel cleared up.

I'm talking mainly about the first couple of miles coming out of Macclesfield - i'm sick to death of having to avoid the craters at 12mph while having traffic beeping away behind me as I wobble towards the centre of the road... :evil:

It's a classic cycling climb - surely if enough of us got some kind of petition going, we could get some parts of it (or most of it?) smoothed over... :?: Who do I talk to about this?

But, apparently, it's been done before - A mate who lives in Macclesfield pointed out a part of the road which was recently re-surfaced, but it must have been done really poorly because it's really rough with sharp stones sticking up out of the road! What were they thinking?! :?

Who do I contact about road surfaces? I see they've started filling in potholes in some parts of Manchester recently - is there somewhere I can report stuff like this to?

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    there's much nicer and quieter ways to get to the cat and fiddle than the "main" road. But you're right, that left hand bend through the trees is shocking!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Jeez it's not that bad, should see some of the stuff I contend with at home
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Yeah, that and all the other roads in the UK......
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    those first couple of miles are pretty bad , the hillcimb in september could be a lot quicker if they resurfaced it
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    Could be a lot quicker if I do a bit of training too Joe!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I cant say I ever noticed any big craters when I went all way up cat and fiddle some weeks ago :?
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    I think we would be lucky to see any kind of re-surfacing on that road unless it started to affect the real traffic over there or cause serious accidents. I used to ride it daily on a motorbike and never found any problems with the surface. On the tighter bands there is shell grip and barriers to stop people charging off the road, that's all it needs.

Have you ever been over there in normal working hours and seen the volume of HGV's and cars?! If there were any kind of road works it would cause absolute mayhem. More trouble than it is worth.

Possibly the pothole filling in Manchester has something to do with it being financial year end and committing to spend whats left in the pot?!
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I have been slowing down for that last mile into Macclesfield for about ten years.

Hit it at 35mph and you are well out of control if you can stay on at all. One day my rear light opened the zip of the saddle bag and jumped out with the vibrations.

The exact location of the worst bits varies, but they just do not seem to be able to keep it mended.
    I think it is really dangerous for two wheelers. Perhaps the council leave it like that in the hope of reducing the speed (or number) of motorcyclists.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow