cramp in little fingers!

ben-1888
ben-1888 Posts: 59
edited April 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Does anyone suffer from cramp in on there little fingers and all down the side of the hands? i get it all the time and have to stop and shake it off... gets to a stage when i cant squeeze the brakes!! anything to stop it?

Comments

• I get cramp in my thumbs when riding... fecking kills I tell thee!
  • I use one these.

http://www.gripmasterpro.com/gripmaster/bodygm.html

I've got the 7lb one. Keeps your fingers strong. I use it stop brake burn but might help you reduce cramps with time.

I do 15mins per hand each day while watching tele. Nice item for a tenner.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Nice gadget - like the way it alows you do each finger individually.

I used to use one of those old skool grip strengtheners when I struggled with the clutch lever on my old motorbike - came as a pair, I kept one indoors next to the sofa and one in the glove box of the car - for when stuck in traffic!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Could be compression of the ulnar nerve, good fitting padded gloves and the correct grips for your hands will help.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    I was thinking that too. Is it actually cramp or do they go weak/numb??
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Perhaps your riding position is incorrect causing you to be leaning too far
    forward and hence lots of pressure on your hands.

So the following:

1. Are your bars too low / seat too high.
    2. Is your stem too long / seat too far back.
    3. Are your controls set up right esp brake orientation and especially if your 2 finger braking - 1 finger braking is much more comfortable imo. Check your Lever reach etc etc
    4. Is the bike too big for you.

I used to use padded gloves but found they can themselves cause finger cramps - took me ages to realise it was padded gloves and poor setup causing my problems.
    Done a great deal of fine tweaking and can now ride without any hand issues.

Basically if you set your cockpit up correctly so your hands can reach comfortably without any twisting etc to reach the controls you should be ok IMO.
  • physiosteve
    physiosteve Posts: 194
    The advice re bars and stem seam bang on.
    If uv tried padded gloves and decent grips it may well be time to look @ your position on the bike.
    Try a riser bar sliding seat forward to reduce stretch on neural structures
    Try seat slid further back/lower add rizer to reduce neck extension which may also be a factor.

Try searching adverse nueral tension for some nerve mobilising exercises, but do be carefull.

Word of warning numbess and weakness should not be ignored...!
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • i got cramp in my little toe when i swim lol it a bitch .

tips:

drink, cramp indicates a lack of salt in the body, make sure you drink enough as this a sign that you might not be drinking enough fluids.

this was the case with me swimming, i know swimming..water ect you think.... but still drink no matter what sport

drink little and offen is the best and gets rid of most cramps, no need to drink fluids if exercise under 30 mins.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners