Rides Near Portsmouth

robbygraham
robbygraham Posts: 36
edited March 2009 in Routes
Hi, i live near portsmouth on the south coast, just wondered if anybody knows any good mtb trail, in the area, cause queen elizabeth country park is abit tame. Any distance or difficulty would be good. thanks

Comments

• Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Depends what you are looking for?

Ride out the back of the QEP towards Buriton, there's some woods there called Head Down Plantation, there's a couple of "off piste" trails there which you can easily link into a longer ride out along the SDW, there's also some singletrack in Oakham Bottom.

Heading further east along the SDW, around Harting Down you can head south on bridleways to Kingly Vale/Stoughton Down, where there are some nice pieces of single track with bearms/jumps and a nice fast 3+ mile decent down into Adsdean, it's not technical but it is a good blast.

Not sure about anything further West as it's pretty flat that way after Butser Hill.

Further north of Petersfield there is some DH type stuff at Rogate, I've never been there though as it's not really my thing.

Swinley Forest is only 40 miles away and is also well worth a visit, loads of good trails there.

It's also worth noting that they are building more trails in QEP, there's an open trail building day there on 29th March with Ian Warby from the CTC. Contact Velocity in North End for more information.