For the love of god...

13»

Comments

• Iain C
    Iain C Posts: 464
    LOL, PMSL, HTH, all fair enough, it's just like reading etc, eg, ie or similar. The odd typo, fair enough too.

But a total lack of even attempting basic punctuation or capitalisation does my head in, as does not even having a quick skim read through it before you hit "submit".

And as for txtspk, don't even get me started. Lots of fora (no, even I can't be that pedantic) forums are going rapidly downhill and to be honest I cannot even be arsed to read a post in txtspk!

With you on this one Supersonic!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    robertpb wrote:
    Read a post on here the other day without punctuation, capitals and every other word misspelt. Had to go and have a lay down.

I'm dyslexic and so I have to take my time, so it just annoys when others don't take the time to put some effort into it.

I have a lot of respect for that.

I am not saying I am perfect. But I try.

;-)
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    Insightful post. I agree, to some extent, that some of the tripe that poors from the gaping mouths of street-corner loiterers today is the language of tomorrow.
    D'you mean tripe that pours? :twisted:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Now we've moved into 'P.C.dom' I must say that the majority of people are in no way negatively effected by people not using racist, sexist or homopobic terms. What are saying - that you really miss those words? Come one, I bet you don't even notice until you pick up a copy of the Daily Mail! For some people 'PC dom' may have slightly improved their lives. I just don't think that it's a big deal either way and the press coverage makes something out of nothing. Recent changes to the law in an impotent attempt to curtail terrorism - now that REALLY does effect your civil liberties. Why don't you focus on that instead, or is that just too much hard work? People who moan about PC counicls or Health & Safety are just too lazy to read & argue about contemporary issues that really matter.

...and texting still sucks, I'm far to educated & middle class to use such a plebian form of communication. :lol: (see my last post for that to make sense)
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    robertpb wrote:
    Read a post on here the other day without punctuation, capitals and every other word misspelt. Had to go and have a lay down.

I'm dyslexic and so I have to take my time, so it just annoys when others don't take the time to put some effort into it.

Think I read the same one, but I made the mistake of reading it out loud and then had to lie down because of oxygen starvation. That and losing the will to live.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Unlimited txts and 500 mins per month... £25 = cheap.

Nope. £23 is cheaper. LOL. :P
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    dave_hill wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

I use a PAYG phone on O2 with a genie card, i top up a tenner a month and it gives me 300 texts and i still get to use my ten pound credit for calls, thats cheap!!! :D
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    passout wrote:
    Now we've moved into 'P.C.dom' I must say that the majority of people are in no way negatively effected by people not using racist, sexist or homopobic terms. What are saying - that you really miss those words? Come one, I bet you don't even notice until you pick up a copy of the Daily Mail! For some people 'PC dom' may have slightly improved their lives. I just don't think that it's a big deal either way and the press coverage makes something out of nothing. Recent changes to the law in an impotent attempt to curtail terrorism - now that REALLY does effect your civil liberties. Why don't you focus on that instead, or is that just too much hard work? People who moan about PC counicls or Health & Safety are just too lazy to read & argue about contemporary issues that really matter.

...and texting still sucks, I'm far to educated & middle class to use such a plebian form of communication. :lol: (see my last post for that to make sense)

Ah well, I think PC stuff actually is important, because the more of it thats bashed about the more idiotic it gets, take words like 'spokesman' trying to be changed to 'spokesperson' or 'policeman' to 'police officer' as it indicates a sexuality of the person likely to do the job or whatever... pathetic. Or the stupid re-pronounciation of the word 'uranus' in the 80s. When the everyday starts to get dictated upon it is daft. Utterly daft.
    'Blackboard' in a school being changed for fear it sounds racist?? Cmon, its a board and it is black. I have a friend who works in the public sector and every few months there's new little directives on what you can call things and what you can't.

We're surrounded by PC rules and changes that are aimed to protect and non-offend when the actual unacceptability is down to how and when the words are used, who they are directed towards and in what context.

Take Kanye West for example a friendly face of black music and he uses the word 'nigger' in his songs, I wouldn't myself, I would have no reason to, but some people would use that word in a vile manner where others are using it in a totally friendly way. You can't ban the word.

It is out of hand. And things don't get changed back do they, whens the last time you saw a speed limit imposed on a section of road only to find years later they thought 'actually, that hasn't lowered accidents or had any other perceivable positive effects' and raised it back up again. Doesn't happen.

I'm never offended by ANY word, only ever its delivery can make it bad and that includes c**t, motherf***r and all of them. And yes, I think its perfectly acceptable to say things to your mates like 'you big gay' if they're moaning about how hot a curry is or something. Its the delivery. So yes, I'd miss those words.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    You're looking at the evolution of the English language here fellas, we stopped speaking Shakesperian (not that people actually spoke as he wrote), we barely speak any celtic, we've lost all but some remaining Latin and Germanic... and apart from friday night and most mornings in my house we've moved on from grunting at one another.
    And what exactly is it we are saving? More exceptions than there are examples to every rule.... Spellings that make no sense? It's a plastic entity is language.:

Not sure how serious you are here, but while I agree that language should and does evolve it doesn't excuse laziness and dumbing down. Communication can't go backwards if everything else is to go forwards.
  • rb1956 wrote:
    Insightful post. I agree, to some extent, that some of the tripe that poors from the gaping mouths of street-corner loiterers today is the language of tomorrow.
    D'you mean tripe that pours? :twisted:

Touche. :lol:
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Take Kanye West for example a friendly face of black music and he uses the word 'nigger' in his songs, I wouldn't myself, I would have no reason to, but some people would use that word in a vile manner where others are using it in a totally friendly way. You can't ban the word.

True, you can frown upon the context in which it's used though, as you say. If it was shouted "nigger" in a negative way in the street for example, by someone using it as an insult at someone else. Not only "non-pc" this would be pretty unacceptable in modern society, and rightly so.

In my opinion the worst one at the moment is all the homophobic stuff, even in the above stuff, describing that response as being "gay". Casually using homophobic stuff in a negative way. I'm shocked people can't find the vocabulary to get their point across without using it. I don't really see how it's any better than the example above.

I'm not overly PC myself, it's all down to context though, given this is a public forum. I don't think anyone was overly offended by the above either, I certainly wasn't, it's just odd that some things have become taboo and some just ignored.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Toasty wrote:
    In my opinion the worst one at the moment is all the homophobic stuff, even in the above stuff, describing that response as being "gay". Casually using homophobic stuff in a negative way. I'm shocked people can't find the vocabulary to get their point across without using it. I don't really see how it's any better than the example above..
    Perhaps it's just the evolution of language. Gay is a current adopted slang for homosexual but this was not always the case - as we know it used to mean "happy", "showy" etc. Who are we to say what the word might mean in the future.

In the context of "that's a bit gay" we take gay to mean "naff" or "stupid" for example. It's just slang and I'd argue as equally valid slang as it is for homosexual. It is not suggesting that homosexuals are naff or stupid.

"Homophobia is gay."

Just my 2 penneth.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • toasty
    Wouldn't the same apply for most racist terms as well? They were common words, marmalade had gollywogs on the front, Tintin has numerous racist adventures even the likes of Superman was hideously racist, especially in war times. It was all used in very casual terms and thrown around as insults.

Once it all became seen as very bad taste it was phased out very quickly.

I don't think it's modern in any way. If anything it sounds like another random phase caused by old fashioned ignorance, that'll undoubtably be seen as bad taste fairly soon and phased out. Much like all the racist terms have gone.

Describing something as "gay" isn't refering to old english style "gay" though is it really. Once again, yes the word does also mean that, not in that context though. There's hundreds of similar homophobic slurs about still, you can log onto xbox live and get called a "faggot" by tens of american kids, while they might be referring to the small pork sausage things, I very much doubt it.

Edit: Just to say again, I'm not offended by the use of this sort of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I just think it's the sort of thing that'll get phased out.
  • mfin
    But the 'gay' bit is likening to a stereotypical kind of person thats all, in the 'camp' sense of word ...describing the general demeanour of a certain kind of camp, gay people. What do you call it if someone wouldn't ride off a big kerb then? Surely its a great description, or 'namby pamby' or 'gig girls blouse' or whatever. I cant see the slightest problem with any of it. As far as the the word 'gay' goes I'm with the guy who saying words take on new conotations. I know enough gay people and I call them 'gay' too, they don't get offended cos they've got a great sense of humour and know how its meant.

Great isn't though how we have our taste and morals dictated to us, what about the Jonathan Ross / Russell Brand thing? It gets out of hand, do we need other people to tell us whats funny and whats not now too? I don't, Id rather be able to choose what to listen to and if other people don't want to then they can turn it off. After all, my same license fee goes to produce things like Songs of Bloody Praise and I don't moan about that, I just (religiously) don't watch it every Sunday.
  • toasty
    It's more the passive way it's used that I think is a bit odd. I can't see how you were referring to the stereotype in any way, it was used purely as a negative statement. Much like, "I don't like cheese, it's gay" etc.

This is what I said, it's not the word, it's the context.

I don't think anyone is dictating morals anyway, I'm certainly not :P Generally people can't walk around shouting whatever they like at whoever they like though, individuals don't dictate these rules, just society in general. Songs of Praise is hardly offensive either is it, because you don't agree it doesn't make it offensive, if they burnt symbols of other religions to get their point across then yes, people would have reason.

Your friends don't mind it, so what? What if someone does resent you saying that, in that context, on a public forum, does that mean they're wrong?
  • mfin
    Naaa. Doesn't mean they're wrong, remember I said it as a joke to be politically incorrect after mentioning political correctness. If anyone would be upset they'd be upset at the principal, jesus, if they did get upset at something like that they'd be a bit over-sensitive?

Anyway, Songs of Praise is not my choice of viewing so I turn it off, thats my point. If other people wanna watch it then they can. I do find the amount of time dedicated to religious content in assemblies at school and so on totally offensive though, damn right. Particularly in primary schools. I don't want people filling my kid's impressionable young minds with such rubbish when theyve got them as a 'captive audience' - its wrong. Plus, the only common defence is that it teaches good morals. Does it hell and religion is hardly a fault free vehicle for that anyway is it?

(teaching all religions for social education is absolutely fine though in my opinion. Sorry, IMO !!!)
  • toasty
    Ah, I can see where you're coming from on that one. We managed to grow up in a far more religious society and come out open minded, I'm sure the next generation will do the same. It's getting less and less pushy.

Although not religious I would say generally christians have good morals, you rarely get gangs of christians standing around street corners shouting abuse and smashing car windows do you. Religion might be directly responsible for wars but this doesn't mean everyone religious is planning a suicide bombing, we've been to war far more times for other stupid reasons, be they military, oil etc. It's just a belief in something, something which has a set of moral guidelines which they follow.

It's all the chavs standing around street corners, nicking things and picking fights I'd rather phase out :P
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    my daughter is profoundly deaf, a mobile phone and text messaging is a phenomenaly liberating technology for her and most literate deaf people.

However, despite her deafness and hence poor literacy (compared to hearing people) she does not use textspeak.

And for those who don't like lol, lmao, etc. These were all abbreviations from online fora from years ago and nothing to do with mobile phone text messaging.

Some of you may not remember the early days of the internet, modems were slow, you had to pay for every minute you were online, abbreviations actually saved time and money.

BTW. I don't like text speak either.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Mattmanic
    Mattmanic Posts: 234
    jayson wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

I use a PAYG phone on O2 with a genie card, i top up a tenner a month and it gives me 300 texts and i still get to use my ten pound credit for calls, thats cheap!!! :D

Unlimited texts and 400 minutes = £16.67 = Cheaper :P

£30 a month on an 18 month contract but 8 months are free :)

Do I win a prize?
    Paypal fee calculator - http://www.rolbe.com/ppcalc.htm

A useful tool...
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    250 mins & 250 txts 4 £10 p m. tht iz a gr8 dl I hv gt. Spk 2 u l8r

:wink:
  • passout
    On the PC stuff... if it's the way it's said and not the words themselves then what does it matter if the words are changed or not? You cannot easily police the way in which words are used, so for that reason 'PC dom' really makes little difference to anything.
    For me it's not the issue, or at least it's only the tip of the iceberg.

In the UK in the 1950s it was kind of normal to be racist, now it's obviously taboo. The language was adapted to reflect that social change. Just as the word CHAV indicates that it is socially acceptable to hate people who look like the cast of Shameless.

Language reflects deeper changes in society (good & bad) - it doesn't work the other way around. Discuss.....
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • mfin
    Yep but people just pick up on a term and use it in any manner don't they, so Chav can be used badly or harmlessly, some Chavs call themselves Chavs don't they, if I can call them Chavs?

But 'blackboard' being phased out by a word when that's basically what it is? That is absolutely ridiculous and my friend who's a social worker had a council memo including this as a term that shouldn't be used. I can't remember what they were told to use instead but that is PC gone absolutely mental isn't it??? And... it costs public money to come up with this sh*t in meetings, discuss and approve it then print and post the memos out !!!!!!
  • passout
    The example you mention is ridiculous but I really don't think that it happens much. Social workers are a bit 'right on' even by public sector standards! I'm in education and my colleagues are not particulary PC, far from it in some cases.

On a technical point, we use white boards & marker pens, not chalk & blackboards... in my place anyway. Nothing to do with race, just a change of colour!
  • mfin
    Think if you met this particular social worker I don't think you wouldn't find him 'right on', for example I think he'd rip a hippy up like a lion if he met one, more of a live and let die kind of person. He can't believe the rubbish they get told they must refer to things by, always makes me laugh.