For the love of god...

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Can people not use 'text talk'? Next time I read a post with 'u', 'ppl', 'sum', 'm8' and any other of these daft words I will come round to your house and eat your computer.

Comments

• sori m8

;)
  • hope your hungry Sonic :lol:
  • supersonic
    Hehe, that 'ban' button is always useful ;-)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Paul just delete the posts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hurrah for Supersonic! The dire standards of spelling and grammar in many forum posts is an outrage. It makes me so mad that, as a point of principle, I refuse to use "txt" style language, even in my SMS text messages! And I even puctuate them! Twice!!
    Bah. Humbug!
  • I also think people should download and use the spell checker on the Google toolbar.
  • int dis sposd 2 b in da crud catcher? :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    int dis sposd 2 b in da crud catcher? :lol:

so what is that worth? -500 posts?

:twisted:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • :shock: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :cry:

:lol:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Text talk should be a bannable offence (after a warning) there's no excuse for it, get the big banstick out ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Isn't it listed in the 'read me before posting' threads that txt typing is not allowed? Therefore banning people is perfectly reasonable...

I must admit I really don't see much if any of this on the bike radar forums, or am I completely blind? 8)
  • don't see why.... just delete the thread.
    Theres no excuse for people making the same thread about the same thing ten times in a night, thats not ban-able....

I agree that some txt speak is annoying, especially when its like my earlier post ^ but sometimes I can't see why it causes such a problem.
  • supersonic
    It's just laziness in my opinion. If someone can't write a post constructively and clearly then some people are not going to give their time to reply. Spelling mistakes can be forgiven, and some people are dyslexic, but purposely doing it is not.

So if posts suddenly get deleted, you know why!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    True, typo's are one thing text talk is another.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • i can understand it in texts (can't really afford to write everything properly) but there is no place for it on forums when they are free to write in anyway
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Super, you obviously don't have a teenaged daughter, welcome to my world! lol (whatever that means)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Supersonic,

As a mod on two Radio Controlled Racing focused Forums, I feel your pain
    It seems as if the mobile phone has spawned a generation of TXT TLKRS who try and fit a paragraph of War & Peace into a single screen of a mobile phone

The irony of this evil is that I read on the BBC News Website that Texting improves spelling.
    Perhaps the ingrains could read nor write until they acquired a mobile phone!?!
  • I hate text speak too - to me, it suggests that the author is either stupid or lazy. Possibly both.

Not to mention that any time saved by abbreviating everything into a gibbering mess is wasted when the poor sod on the other end is trying to decipher what the hell it's trying to say.
  • After banning txt tlk, perhaps we could train Nicklouse to spell 'explanation' correctly for the disk mounts section in the workshop forum.

(Have you ever noticed that when someone writes a piece about spelling or grammar; there is always a mistake in it?)
  • perhaps we could train Nicklouse to spell 'explanation' correctly for the disk mounts section in the workshop forum.
    i see a ban or a serious post count reduction on the horizon :lol:
  • docker0141 wrote:
    perhaps we could train Nicklouse to spell 'explanation' correctly for the disk mounts section in the workshop forum.
    i see a ban or a serious post count reduction on the horizon :lol:

If they were put to zero, it would only take 1 or 2 weeks for them to get higher than most people :lol:
  • supersonic
    Nick is dyslexic. But I am sure we can clear up a few typos and stuff in the stickies.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Oooooooo we haven't had a spelling / texting thread for ages :lol: .

Just for the record I'm with Sonic, I hate poor posting (and yes I still make mistakes but I do generally re-read my posts before hitting submit), I also use punctuation in my texts, it's just wrong not to.

Ironically proper English and punctuation wasn't something that was taught to me at school in the mid '80s.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • my spelling in generally terrible, but even so, i would much prefer to read a badly spelt sentance than one with txt spk in it!
    more often than not they oly miss out one letter in the abreviations so seems semi pointless! and some are plain bizzarre!
    had to explain to the wife a while back LOL meant Laugh out Loud rather than Lots of Love!

i did hear a few years ago that text speak was allowed in some school examination papers! how! is a disgrace if they allow it,

i moderate on a couple of car related forums and we are generally very lucky in that we dont have a lot of younger members so the text speak doesnt come up often, but funnily enough, when it has, after requesting nicely that we have no need for it as not short on space, those members leave lol! i did have to decipher one message on one of the forums once because it made absolutely No sence at all how it was typed!

mind you, on a phone, txt speak is nearly as bad as predictive text! thank god for the blackberry!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Txt talk is definitely worse than spelling I must admit. Although I don't mind the odd lol or pmsl type thing.
    As for spelling I would say mine has improved since I started using the spell check on the Google tool bar. It works a treat.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    allthegearnoidea: Is lol allowed - surely thats text speak too, its just you mention it in the bit about car forums.... :P
  • supersonic
    Lol. Erm, well, it is a genarally accepted forum abbrieviation ;-)
  • itz a gud job that peepul haven't started tipeing fonetikally!< that took me ages to write btw :lol:
  • text talk is one thing but you can't stop us speaking derbyshire. Aye, ye might try but it's not reet and it's not alreet :shock: :P
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    "For the love of god..." Can't we give threads meaningful titles that give a clue as to the contents? I mean, we're not naming indie-rock bands here. Cryptic thread titles are at least as annoying as txt-speak IMHO :D