What would I do with my old wheels?

Rhods
Rhods Posts: 400
edited February 2009 in Workshop
This will sound like a silly question, but here goes:

I currently have Shimano R500 wheels, which are fine but I doubt they'll cope for very long with my weight - I'm +/- 85kg.

Many rave about Open Pros, and it's something like this I'd go for probably, as I commute, train and will be doing some light touring. They seem to be a do-all kind of wheel.

So, my question is, if they are better in all aspects than my old wheels and are more durable, will mt R500s be relegated to nothing more tahn spare wheels, to be used in an emergency?

Would they be better than Open Pros (or similar) for anything?

Thanks

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Always nice to have a spare set of wheels, even if you don't use them much.
    I tend to USE my wheels until they just aren't reliable anymore(breaking spokes,
    worn out rims). Then I get or build a new set, but always have a spare set.
    If you're a heavier rider you should consider 32 or 36 spokes. I believe you will get
    more dependable "time" on them.

Dennis Noward
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    I have some hubs which have seen 4 pairs of rims and many, many miles. I don't buy factory wheels on the basis that this wouldn't be possible (or a reasonable price). I have only ever broken 1 spoke and that was at the nipple due to corrosion.

So my recommendation is always to buy handbuilts and Open Pros are as good a rim as any. I remember various discussion on this suggesting that rims were - given the state of our roads - virtually disposable items, and many guys changed rims yearly as a precautionary measure. So how come over-priced factory wheels ever became popular?

Keep the factory wheels for clean, dry days on good roads. To do otherwise is an expensive indulgence.