Who wants to lose a stone by March - Week 5! (26 - 1st Feb)

bluecow
bluecow Posts: 306
So this challenge has now been moved back to the end of March, to coincide with the Cheshire Cat.
Distinct reduction of posters last week, including a half hearted effort from myself. Hope to pick things up a bit this week...
Anyway, here goes... Last weeks posters:

bluecow - start --> 10st2- 10st (lost 2lbs)
TonyW43 (new) - start -->15st4 (lost 0lbs)
Fat_Rob - start --> 14st9- 14st2 (lost 7lbs)
ColinJ - start --> 15st10- 15st6.7 (lost 3.3lbs)
Hagrid - start --> 16st4- 16st5 (lost -1lbs)
Napolean D - start = 91Kg - idontknow! (lost ??)
bgood2folk - start --> 90Kg - 86.5Kg (lost 7lbs)
popette - start --> 93Kg- 89.4Kg (lost 7.9lbs)
Fuzzynavel - start --> 15st3- 15st5 (lost -2lbs)
steve-m - start --> 81.5Kg- 79.1Kg (lost 5.2lbs) (all water steve? ;))
Ken Knight (new) - start --81Kg- 80Kg (lost 2.2lbs)
T.C - start --> 13st12 - 13st6 (lost 6lbs)
DavidMiller - start --> 89.1Kg- 87Kg (lost 4.6lbs)
Sportbilly1976 - start -->14st8- ? (Hope your saturday eve was good!)
Gwaredd (new)- start -->? (lost 6lbs)
Kevin Stevens- start -->10st8- 10st9 (lost -1lbs)

Missing in action:
hambones (new) start -->15st4- 15st4 (lost 0lbs)
jp1985 - start = 105Kg- 102Kg (lost 6.6lbs- cheated by contracting man-flu)
JonathanMcP - start --> 98Kg- 98Kg (lost 0lbs)
deal - start --> 12st8- 12st6lbs (lost 2lbs)
pjm-84 - start --> 16st7 - 16st7(lost 0lbs)
Ianjaytee
peanut (new) - start--> 17st6

This weeks prize goes too....
Popette (again!)
1276_main_icedbun.jpg[/img]

Comments

• bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    STG: Lose a stone in time for 102 mile Cheshire Cat on 29th March. Keep up 150 mile weekly minimum for winter. (To be upped to 200+ during summer)
    LTG: Not yet sure. It probably includes bikes in there somewhere.

Anyway, here's my week:

Monday: Nothing
    Tuesday: 28 miles commute
    Wednesday: 28 miles commute
    Thursday: Nothing
    Friday: 60 miles
    Saturday: Nothing
    Sunday: 40 miles.

Total = 156 miles!
    Start weight 10st2, current = 10st. Lost 0lbs this week. :roll:

Todays ride was touch and go as it was hella windy and cold but once we'd got moving i was glad i went out. Good crowd, good ride and nothing too hardcore.
    I havent really been keeping up the stomach crunches. I find them a chore, but very worthwhile when done over time. <Tut...>
    Over to you :)
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Thanks Blue Cow

Good week for me-the last week of the month being the one for the most effort

Weight this morning 79.5kg so lost 0.5kg

Roast dinner tonight, may have set things back a bit. Next week scheduled for an easy week-commutes only, and away for a non bike weekend

Jan.jpg
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    edited February 2009
    Missed last week and replied under the incorrect post two weeks ago.

Weigh in at the start 16 7lbs (11th Jan)
    First week - 16st 1.5lb
    Last week - Hmmm 16st to 16 3lb
    This week 15st 12lb :D

Couple of careful weeks and I'll be back down to 15 8lbs. Now all I need to do is to get my legs back.

Riding proving tough at the moment. I did some hill reps test during the week and was dissappointed although it subsqently turned out I wasn't too far off from this time last year over the same course. Also been doing at bit of running so quads are protesting a little which may be adding to the experience....... ho hum.
    Paul
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Congrats to Popette.

STG: drop about 2 stone, increase the time and mileage on the bike.

LTG: generally get a lot fitter, complete Northern Rock Cyclone

This week hasn't really gone to plan training wise, however food wise went very well. Managed to stay away from the chocolate (which for me is an achievement, as I can normally work my way through 4 or 5 bars a day), plus the alcohol has been kept to a minimum, with only 4 cans of lager last night. Also managed to keep the food diary tight and up to date, so I could watch the protein/carb/fat mix.

Training wise : Mon - Nothing due to college
    Tue - Nothing
    Wed - 30 min Interval training, zones 1, 2 & 3
    Thur - Nothing
    Fri - 30 min Interval training, zones 1, 2 & 3
    Sat - Nothing
    Sun - 7 hours of ironing (hey, it counts as exercise :D)

Start weight 214 pounds, current is 208 pounds so lost 6 pounds this week.

Hopefully next week will be a bit fuller with the training.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sorry Bluecow, I'm 93kg after relyting on some duff scales.

So overall a 2kg loss. Not what I wanted.
    Last week saw some intervals and such like on the trainer and a fast group ride Monday Night. Some good results actually
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Sorry Bluecow, I'm 93kg after relyting on some duff scales.
    I think that is an important point!

It doesn't really matter what our absolute weights are here, what we are looking at are the changes in weight. I know damn well that my scales don't agree with other peoples'. My mother has two sets which don't agree with each other or with mine!

Always weigh yourself on the same scales, at the same time of day, and wearing the same clothes (or lack of them).

I smile when I see some of the weight losses reported. There is no healthy way to lose 5 or 6 pounds in a week - most of that will be down to fluid retention then fluid loss. For that reason I weigh myself every morning and take the average every Sunday. I could have reported a several pound weight gain one week, or a several pound loss the next if I'd taken those sorts of changes seriously. Don't believe me? Here are my last 4 weeks worth of readings:

4th 15-10
    5th 15-10
    6th 15-10
    7th 15-8
    8th 15-9
    9th 15-7
    10th 15-8
    11th 15-8
    12th 15-9
    13th 15-9
    14th 15-9
    15th 15-7
    16th 15-6
    17th 15-6
    18th 15-5
    19th 15-8
    20th 15-8
    21st 15-6
    22nd 15-6
    23rd 15-8
    24th 15-5
    25th 15-6
    26th 15-5
    27th 15-6
    28th 15-5
    29th 15-4
    30th 15-4
    31st 15-6
    1st 15-5

See what I mean? You have to filter out the fluctuations folks, otherwise you don't really know what is going on.

Oh, and that makes my weight now 15-5, a loss of 1.7 pounds last week, and 5 pounds overall. Here's my blog progress report.

There's another litre of OJ ticked off on the old OJ-ometer too! :wink:
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    A good week!
    Start: 93kg
    Today: 87.6kg

I did 8hrs 45 mins riding. I weighed and calorie counted everything I ate. I went to a kids party yesterday, where choccie biscuits and sandwiches were offered every 5 minutes and I refused them all and felt good about it. My evening dress zips up! hooraahhhhhhh!
  • mmmm I may have to change what I am doing.....I seem to be losing...

This week only managed 93 miles but did lots of climbing during these runs.

Still 15st 3 despite having my 30th birthday party and lots of Haggis at Burns night
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • well done Poppette

26 Jan 86.5kg...............1 feb still 86.5kg cant seem to shift from here

Mon - Fri 16 mile commute 80miles in total
    Sat 25 miles to favourite cafe ......homemade celery and stilton soup mmmmmmm (hey it was freezing outside)

Sun 6 miles with my 10 year old daughter and 20 mins of her laughing at me when i got a puncture

Need to increase my mileage hope the weather picks up soon, spending as much time cleaning my bike as I am riding it!!!!

Have a good week all
  • Anonymous
    I'm getting really fed up of the bloomin' trainer, can't wait to get outside more.

Not doing the Monday night hammerfest tonight as it looks like Tom Boonen has done a massive sneeze all over Cheshire.
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    Haven't been to work today so no gym scales to weigh in at, though was between 79/80 on Sat - so as suspected weigh in last week as optimistic

This week can't remember exactly - and I stopped using that facebook thing but cycle commuted not very much due to snapped chain and sh1tty day on Wed and deciding I needed to go for drinks.

Running, I managed 2 * 5.5 miles and a 10 miler

One not very hard session at the gym.

I really don't want to have to no cycle tomorrow but unless it thaws I am probably on the tube
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Current weight 14st 10lbs. Weight on 5th Jan was 15st 8lbs, 12th Jan was 15st 4lbs.

Exercise - 8 commutes of 8 miles and one Sunday ride - this Sunday was trying to hang on with the Finchley racing team and managed around 60 miles in all.

Still a way to go - my target is to be under 14st for the first time in 22 years! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • Hagrid
    Hagrid Posts: 22
    Weighed in on Sunday at 16st8, so a 3lb gain and 2lbs above where I started. More importantly, no slimming at the waist so something has definitely gone awry. My weightwatchers guru thinks I have been eating too little and that my metabolism has slowed down -- that's happened before, so she may be right. This week I will be sure to eat right up to my calorie limit and we'll see if that makes any difference...

As for exercise, picking up again after a recovery week. Monday and Thursday a couple of hours in the gym. 34 miles on the trainer Wednesday, 55 on Saturday and a very light 12 mile spin Sunday -- all on the trainer. I'm getting fit but I'm still fat!! :roll:
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    weight the same but i'm not worried as my waist has gone down !
    mon = 4 h 66miles
    tue =rest day
    wed & thu work
    fri =1 hour
    sat = nothing
    sun = i hour
    !
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Hey

I've been feeling guilty about my cheating man flu ways so I have decided to even everything out by putting all the weight i lost back on. Its been quite difficult to type with my hands full of biscuits hence the lack of a post last week.

On a positive note mcvities are now sure to survive the credit crunch and I have the all clear to start riding again and managed to actually get out on my bike at the weekend instead of being stuck on the turbo trainer

Start weight 105 kg
    Low point 102kg
    Current weight 105 kg
  • Right, if we have to (and we have to) here we go:-

orginal weight 89.0Kg
    Last week 87.0 Kg
    Last night 88.1 Kg :cry::cry::cry:

I thought the 87 last week might be a bit optimistic but even taking that into account there's has been a significant weight increase this week.

Main reasons:
    (1) ate everything that came across my path from getting home on Friday night to going to bed on saturday including 3 glasses of wine (w/e's are always a struggle).
    (2) due to the b*****d weather only managed about 4-5 h on the bike since last weds and 1.5 of these were in somewhat questionable (icy) conditions.

How can I avoid this next week?? I've started (food and cycling) diary and clearly I just need to eat less and ride more. I want to get out at the next possible opportunity to do another longish (60m) ride but it looks like it's going to be too cold to be out for hours on end again this w/e. Instead of just throwing in the towel I'm gonna try to get out whenever I can even if it is only for for an hour or two a couple of times (or even once) over the w/e.

Of course, the 2" of snow I woke up to this morning meant I'm in the Disco again today so thats a grand total of 29 miles for this (calendar) week.

Starting to wish I had not sold that turbo trainer now!!!

Depressed,

DM
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    Im still 14st 2 but upped everything in the gym to compensate so fingers crossed for next week!!
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    an easy week followed by a weekend away-not good

put on 300g, so now 79.8kg
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Anonymous
    Not weighed myself for a while, but I'm getting plenty training in and feel that I'm getting stronger.

This week was a recovery week though.

Did 2643 cals in 80 miles.

Don't feel any lighter though!
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    well didn't do a great deal last week due to snow and work

Think I probably commutes in 1 1/2 times = 24 miles
    Couple of visits to the gym running / weights and a 6 mile outdoor run

Please to weigh in @ 78.5 kg today.
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    (a) We should be on a new thread now!
    (b) You didn't update my figures last week!

I'll wait for the new week's thread to add my latest data.