Specialized the captain tyres any one running them?

blakef111
blakef111 Posts: 374
edited February 2009 in MTB buying advice
Trying to tie up the loose ends in my current build project and i have come down to tyres, i have seen and liked the look of the spesh captain tyres as they are "tubeless ready" instead of all out heavy ust tyres but wanted to check first, anyone using them how are they? easy on and off rim? please help thanks

Comments

• robinta
    robinta Posts: 211
    running mine on Mavic 719`s with sealant. Easy to fit (much easier to get on than the Tubeless ready Bontrager ACX`s I`d tried previously)and sealed 1st pop. Tyres are quite impressive, roll fast and corner ok. The only problem I`ve had is sticky mud. The mud filled the tread and didnt come back off. Now this may be a bit unfair as they`re not dedicated mud tyres and it was particularly sticky, In `normal` wet mud they`re not too bad.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I thought they were dreadful and were the first thing I changed on my Wife's specialized...

Fine for wide open trail and trekking duties but not particularly grippy, fills with mud and although rolls ok, if you're looking for a fast rolling tyre, there are faster tyres that still grip better (High Roller 2.1 62a for example)
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    edited January 2009
  • adb1006
    edited January 2009
  • adb1006
    I have the S-Works 2Bliss version. I'm running them tubeless (with Stan's No Tubes sealant), on my XT wheelset. They're very light and very easy to fit. They seem particularly grippy on the roads, which is all i've managed to use them on so far due to being ill for the last couple of weeks and not getting a chance to hit my usual trail.

By all accounts i've heard they're not the best in thick mud - but not really sure if anything is?

I've heard the Spesh Sauserwind are supposed to be pretty good. The guy from my lbs is running them on his Epic i believe.
  • :shock: I was running S-works Captains front and rear and running them tubeless with sealant. Went out on my 1st trail and destroyed the sidewall on the rear tyre, I wasn't doing anything crazy just caught a root and that was game over. Had to repair the tyre and that didn't last on the next ride either.. ended up binning it. Changed the rear to a Captain Control and its great, no probs at all, easy to fit and inflate and has lost no pressure.

Got to agree with the above tho, they are not that great at shedding the sticky stuff but generally they are pretty good all round.

The S-works weighed in at 545g and the control version weighed 631g

So I would stay away from the S-works on the rear unless your running tubes although I have read a thread on a forum where some guy had a tube poking out of the side of 1..!!

I have heard good reviews on the Sauserwind ... alot lighter 470g for the S-works and 507g for the control version and they shed the mud so people say...?? Think I'll give them a bash...
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I wouldn't compare them to High Rollers personally, 2.1" High Rollers are far more narrow and not tubeless, yet still come in no lighter, 2.35" High Rollers are a much closer width to Captains bizarrely. I use Captains on my Zaskar still, when they start doing Sauserwinds in 2.0" over here I'll probably swap, for the minute though I don't know of a similar width, weight, fast rolling, tubeless tyre.

It's the Controls I'm using, I've never had any sidewall trouble though, did the pressure trash it or did you catch it on something? I used to get the sides falling to bits on older Spesh tyres but I've not had it for ages now.

Oh and to answer the original question, easy on and off, a bit spinny in thick mud and snow, fast on hard ground and gravel. If you up the pressure a bit they roll ok on the road as well, less so at lower pressures though due to no center strip.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I know it's not much but they are lighter at 490g (weighed) and they're tough enough to survive a good hiding on my Five.

They do shed mud and grip better too despite how narrow they are.
  • robinta
    robinta Posts: 211
    Good tyre for dry conditions but if its muddy forget it. The problem I had was after filling with mud they wont shed it so just get worse (Mud may only account for 5% of my ride but once the tread`s filled the tyre is next to useless I`m afraid) I`m busy taking mine off but WILL put them on again if the trails ever dry out.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    zero303 wrote:
    I know it's not much but they are lighter at 490g (weighed) and they're tough enough to survive a good hiding on my Five.

They do shed mud and grip better too despite how narrow they are.

True, until you factor in the tube, then they're heavier and much narrower. I do like High Rollers, I've got a set on my Commencal and a spare 2.35" and 2.1" in the shed. The Sauserwind looks like a decent middle ground, if only they'd bring out the 2.0" over here :( It's supposedly out for '09 and I've not seen it anywhere yet, similar tread to High Rollers, the 1.8" is about 460g tubeless and very similar in width to the 2.1" High Roller.
  • I have them on my Stumpjumper and great when it's dry (but as most of people have said) useless in mud.

I have a set of the Resolution Pros that I run for muddy conditions, great traction and they don't get clogged with mud, worthlooking into.
  • I have them on my Stumpjumper and great when it's dry (but as most of people have said) useless in mud.

I have a set of the Resolution Pros that I run for muddy conditions, great traction and they don't get clogged with mud, worthlooking into.