Too much of a scaredy cat to train this weekend

neil²
neil² Posts: 337
edited February 2009 in Training, fitness and health
After my tarmac contact on the ice last weekend I think that I am too much of a scaredy cat to go out on the road bike early on Saturday or Sunday, considering the 0 degrees forecast. :shock: I would be nervous on every corner, I think.

I think that I will be reverting to the MTB this weekend.

8)

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Quite sensible. I'll be on the turbo trainer on Sunday. No sense ruining a couple of months or more for the sake of a two hour ride in dodgy conditions.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Looks like another 3 1/2 hr turbo-fest for me on Sunday too....
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Seems like it's been a very long winter and it doesn't look like being over any time soon either :cry:
    Saturday should be absolutely fine. Sunday dodgy. Monday very challenging.
  • from what i've seen sunday should be ok, not warm but in the pluses
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    DaSy wrote:
    Looks like another 3 1/2 hr turbo-fest for me on Sunday too....
    Are you for real? What on earth does that session look like?
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Hope to get out on Sunday morning, there has been some cold wet icy rides this Winter but also some alright ones. Hope it's not too Windy. :P :x :evil:
  • I've rescheduled to go out tomorrow and then do 2x1 hour turbo sessions on Sunday. Having come off last February and serious messed my ankle I'm in no hurry to taste tarmac again.

Mind you, I'm hoping that having a proper winter will be balanced by having a proper summer. Maybe the weather is returning to normal after a few funny years?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,919
    This morning was fine. A bit nippy but no ice on the roads. Hopefully tomorrow will be similar.
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    I have a confession - the weather was nowhere near as bad as the forecast... I did 30 miles :wink::D
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    Just nipped out for a quick 50. The weather was fine, but it's turning very cold for the rest of the week, and so it'll be the turbo for me 'till weekend.

I enjoy the turbo if it's for 60-90 min sessions, but I just cannot use it for building endurance.
    What do you reckon is the right ratio of time for Turbo versus on the road? I mean if you wanted to do 3 hour endurance ride on the road, but the weather had other ideas, what would be an equivalent Turbo session? I've heard it said that one hour on the turbo is worth two on the road. Is that true?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    No, it's an hour on the road is worth two on the turbo - so get sweating mate ! :lol:
  • around 1hr turbo : 2.5hrs road standard rule of thumb.[/i]
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Doesn't look icy today, but the wind looks dangerously high.
    As much as I hate the turbo, it may be getting dusted off today :(
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Weather's not bothering me at the minute, as I'm only on the turbo building up base endurance with a lot of interval training. Anaerobic threshold test today :shock:
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Dunno what it was like over east or up north, but it was the driest weekend for ages here in Bath. A tad windy but I'd still call it very good winter riding weather.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    The weather here in the Netherlands has hardly been above freezing since 1St January, so i,ve limited my cycling to commute only. Still got 900Kms in in 4 weeks, so not bad.The roads, cyclepaths have been well gritted but if you were to go for a run you would be a fool to ride faster than 30Km/h. Have heard of so many people coming off the bike, happened to a colleague of mine.He had a broken shoulder(i think)and a bill to repair the bike of €600. Have not spoken to him personally as he is off sick, but i am sure he will look back and think that it wasn,t worth it.We are now in February so lets hope for better weather for everybody :)
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Yesterday morning in the Chilterns was gorgeous, but got considerably colder around noon. Or it may of just been me turning into a blocking headwind as I reached my furthest point out. There were loads of bikes about so I guess lots of folk had the same plan as me.

I walked back from the town centre at lunchtime in a howling icy gale being pelted with snow, and was damn glad I wasn't on the Ashdown or Team Quest Reliabilty. Big respect to anyone who was :)
  • Yesterday morning in the Chilterns was gorgeous, but got considerably colder around noon. Or it may of just been me turning into a blocking headwind as I reached my furthest point out. There were loads of bikes about so I guess lots of folk had the same plan as me.

I walked back from the town centre at lunchtime in a howling icy gale being pelted with snow, and was damn glad I wasn't on the Ashdown or Team Quest Reliabilty. Big respect to anyone who was :)
  • I managed a 70 mile trip going out from Aylesbury towards Banbury. Seven-league boots going out, but 10mph grovel coming back. So cold my face went numb and I couldn't talk properly when I rang the wife to tell her I'd be late.

But nice and dry, and lovely wintry views when the sun was out.

No more for a day or two now by the looks of things