LOOK 585 Series

BrodieBiker
BrodieBiker Posts: 18
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Hi:

I'm in the market for a new road frame and was wondering if anyone has ridden the Look 585 Optimum? I'm specifically wanting to find out how Look frames ride, are they harsh, do they have any drawbacks, etc. I'm not someone who races but I do enjoy long 100+ km rides, so I'm focusing on comfort more so than race ready. I have been doing a fair bit of research and Look frames appear to be very well respected and well built. Having never owned a carbon frame before, I'm not sure what to look for in a carbon frame (monocoque vs. lug design). Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ray

Comments

• hewg
    hewg Posts: 17
    Hi Ray
    I've had a 585 Optimum since last February and haven't got any complaints, it's a great bike! I haven't found it at all harsh, have completed dozens of 100+km rides on it in comfort and and am now looking forward to another season of long rides including the Etape du Tour in its company. I couldn't give you any expert advice on the advantages/drawbacks of monocoque v lug design but the lugged 585 seems to go fine as far as I can tell.
    h
  • Hugo:

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. At this point in my decision process any advice and input helps. You said you're going to be riding the Etape du Tour; well best of luck, I'm envious for certain. In Canada we don't seem to gravitate to cycling like folks do in Europe. It's not like we don't have the space over here to create great rides. :)

Cheers again and safe riding!

Ray
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    Both the Mrs and I have the 585 standard model. Geometry and ride I find smoother and easier than similar from Cervelo etc. Compared to my winter bike (soloist team+carbon fork/seatpost) no comparison..like riding on butter. Thats relative clearly - after a full day Im still shot to bits - but think that maybe fitness issues :)
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Standard 2006 585 for me too, and it's a fantastic ride. I've done a few 100+ mile sportives and it's been great. Comfy, smooth, all that you'd want.