Online training buddies for an 80 mile sportive by June

neil²
neil² Posts: 337
Greetings,

I thought I would start a topic to try to get a few people together who are training up from a baseline to try to achieve a reasonable performance in a summer sportive.

I've been a bike commuter for years and done a fair amount of leisure riding with family - mostly cross-country (=no cars to worry about for the kids!). I've been persuaded to enter a 77 mile sportive in June to justify my new bike :wink: . My current performance benchmark is roughly 25 miles at 15 mph.

I see the target of a reasonable performance in an 80 mile sportive in June as being realistic so long as I keep up with the training. What I could do with, though, is some online training buddies who set themselves a similar target, so we can track each other's progress and give a bit of encouragement through this forum.

What do you reckon? Do you want to join in?

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I'm doing the 102 mile Cheshire Cat on 29 March and so far only average about 17mph over 70 miles or so and so I need to raise my game to avoid being captured by the dreaded 'sag wagon' :oops:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • lock
    lock Posts: 32
    ive got slightly differant goals,but they still involve training,i want to get my 3rd cat liscence and do the sdw under 11hrs this year,
    tony
  • pbracing
    pbracing Posts: 231
    McBain are you joking? Is the Cheshire Cat fairly flat then? (besides Mow Cop) I'd have thought 17mph was a healthy average, certainly not slow enough to get swept up :shock: I'm now worried about how much of a pro rider I need to be to do the Dartmoor Classic
    Why not? My bikes.
    Summer & dry days
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... /Trek1.jpg

Wet winter days & going the shops runaround
    http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47 ... rello1.jpg
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    pbracing:

You'll be fine on the Dartmoor Classic, 17mph average would be pretty quick.
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    I'm doing the 102 mile Cheshire Cat on 29 March and so far only average about 17mph over 70 miles or so and so I need to raise my game to avoid being captured by the dreaded 'sag wagon' :oops:

Is there a sag wagon on the CC? I'm doing the mid distance CC and have not done a bike ride yet this year, but been spining in the gym a lot. Might yet see you in the bus then!
  • Neil (squared) I have a long term goal of doing a Sportive, but as I only started cycling seriously last September, I expect progress to be slow (I am 53 this year). That said I did a hilly 50 miles in wind with an average speed of 14 mph last week, which I think is pretty good given that I had pretty bad flu a month ago. Happy to join in the online support group and work towards improvement. Seems like a motivator, so count me in. :)
  • double post :)
  • neil²
    crabstix wrote:
    Neil (squared) I have a long term goal of doing a Sportive, but as I only started cycling seriously last September, I expect progress to be slow (I am 53 this year). That said I did a hilly 50 miles in wind with an average speed of 14 mph last week, which I think is pretty good given that I had pretty bad flu a month ago. Happy to join in the online support group and work towards improvement. Seems like a motivator, so count me in. :)

Well, 50 miles is more that me at any speed!

I changed my tyres last night to proper road tyres last night so am hoping that it will make a big difference. My bike is a cross bike as I want to compete in some cross races next winter and so I switched from the cross tyres to some Gatorskins.

Have you registered for a sportive? I found that confirmation email a great motivator!
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Smooth tyres will make a major difference to your speed on the tarmac.

JonathonMcp - I don't know if there is a sag wagon on the CC, but two colleagues from work are doing the CC as a training exercise (they are both Iron Man triathletes and are seriously fit) and they will be giving me static if I can't post a healthy average speed.

Been on the turbo most nights but if anything is going to let me down it will be my sense of direction :!:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • neil²
    Smooth tyres will make a major difference to your speed on the tarmac.

They'd better! My average speeds are far too far below what the regulars achieve and I consider myself pretty fit, albeit not at elite levels.

I'll report back. Unfortunately my evening ride has just been cancelled :( so it will have to wait a few days.
  • Toonraid
    Toonraid Posts: 126
    Count me in - I am training for a 2 week tour in Italy during August where I expect to do 4 hrs/day - 6 days/week with a group and I just don't want to get dropped too often so I should really be able to do an 80 mile sportive in June.

I started base training several weeks ago with only a couple of hourly sessions and so far have ramped it up to 5 hrs this week in zones 1 & 2 - will be adding 1 hr per week during early base and mid base which will rise to 2 during my late base in April.
  • lock
    lock Posts: 32
    yeh just entering an event really helps,last year i done the trans wales and that got my arse in gear when i payed the cash,ive done a few sportives and got a few booked in this year,but im always looking for that next goal that scares me a bit.
    tony
  • Toonraid
    Has anyone done London - Paris, was thinking of doing it but not sure which one to enter and how hard it would be.
  • neil²
    Has anyone done London - Paris, was thinking of doing it but not sure which one to enter and how hard it would be.

I haven't but there are a few routes on mapmyride

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /776097736

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /676430531

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /320129910

It doesn't look too bad to me - it depends on how you split it up, I guess.
  • Toonraid
    There are different routes provided by different organizers - looks doable and I was thinking of doing the Action Medical one which is in July with different route options.

http://www.action.org.uk/get_involved/london_paris.php
  • neil²
    Today's sorry tale. This was going to be the first ride to build up my distance....

New tyres - check
    Route planned - check
    Spares / carbs / fluids / etc. - check

Got 1/2 mile and was down on the tarmac on the second corner. Damage to hip, elbow, and minor damage to bike.

I was taking it dead carefully, too. I guess that it was ice, as it was only a couple of degrees.

These roady things are not like MTBs where you can ride a slide are they?!!!

This means I will miss my training target for this week :(
  • neil²
    Current goals:

Last week (Mon-Sun) -
    target 70 miles, actual 82 miles
    longest ride 30 miles, actual 32 miles

Next week (Mon-Sun) -
    target 75 miles
    longest ride 38 miles

I'm thinking of doing some interval training as part of this. Never tried it before.

What are your goals for this week, then?
  • pots
    pots Posts: 109
    hi
    my goal would be 50 mile ride & then a 100 mile sportive.i had a knee op last june,so i started building up my milage slowly by increasing my time by 10% each week & having a weeks recovery on the 4th week.i ride 3 times a week.20 mins to work twice, and now up to 70mins going home.then i am up to 2 hours at the weekend.my average is 12 -14 mph,but i am using a HR moniter & keeping the rate at about 120 -140.(not quite crabstix 53 ,i am 52)
    i think to be relistic,the sportive will have to wait until next year,were i think i could do a releastic time.i have entered a 62 mile ride with my son on march 1st this year,but think i may pass on this but will wait till closer the time(had a chest infection over xmas,which i just about got over & has put me back a bit)
    good luck with your goals and training
  • Count me in,

I started about a month ago ( new years)

I've got a 123km audax coming up, And i've entered FoD Spring Classic Sportif.

Been building my self up over the past 4 weeks. Doing about 100miles a week. Did my first 100miler on Saturday too! So far training is going well, my legs are deffinatley getting stronger.

Also want to try and train in order to get a cat. 3 license. but that's abit out of my reach at the moment!!
  • Count me in,

Been building my self up over the past 4 weeks. Doing about 100miles a week. Did my first 100miler on Saturday too! So far training is going well, my legs are deffinatley getting stronger.

Also want to try and train in order to get a cat. 3 license. but that's abit out of my reach at the moment!!
  • neil²
    monkeypoo wrote:
    Count me in,

That's quick progress! You must have had pretty good fitness at the outset. :o