How to tell difference between double & triple STI shift

Mefster
Mefster Posts: 54
edited November 2008 in Workshop
First ride on my new road bike today. I've had it a couple of weeks but the weather's been too poor or I've been too busy to get out on it until now. Today was such a fantastic day i waited for the frost to clear then headed out. Since my old bike has seen 15 years service my new bike was a revalation! Incredibly taut and responsive yet surprisingly comfortable on the rough Cheshire lanes. Smoothness of shifting was amazing. Sometimes I had to look at the block to convince myself it was shifting!

This was my first ever ride on STI/Ergo style shifters. It was pretty cold so I had my winter gloves on- took a bit of time to avoid catching the fingertip of the glove in the shifter. Also had a couple of moments when I shifted up and managed to brake at the same time!

Shifters are Dura Ace 9800. I did find that there appear to be two 'clicks' on the front shifter. The bike is running a compact double. As I've no experience of these shifters, I was wondering if this was to allow trimming of the front mech or if the bike had been build with a triple front shifter which had been adjusted for the double chainset. I don't know if this is common practice or if it's been fitted by mistake.

Is there any way of telling by looking at the shifter (other than listening for the indexed 'clicks') whether I have a double or triple shifter? I did have a few moments when I tried to shift down on the front and had no joy, but I'm unsure as to whether this was the cause of the problem or if it's just me being cack-handed with gloves and shifters I'm not used to!

Cheers

Comments