muddy bike

tv
tv Posts: 338
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
whats the best thing to use to clean all the mud off your bike? just water? i herd ther was a special liquid or is this just a gimik!?

Comments

• Muc Off, or Fenwicks FS1 (diluted with nine parts water to make FS10).
    Go for the one you prefer the smell of. I prefer the Fenwicks.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    WhatMTB admitted that warm soapy water was as good as anything.

I either use washing up liquid, or even better, car shampoo. Loads cheaper than fancy MTB-specific cleaner.

Neat fairy liquid and a scrubbing brush can clean up the muddiest, oiliest cassettes.
  • be careful with washing up liquid and car products, as they can damage alloy parts.

I use water and a brush/cloth, generally i remove the drivetrain to clean it...
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    car shampoo and warm water, seems ok, fenwicks seems to work better tho
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    I doubt cleaners will damage alloy parts as much as general abuse and crap from trails, salt from roads, etc. If parts are soft enough to be damaged by a drop of Fairy I dont think they will last long on the trails...

Remove drivetrain by all means if you have the time after every ride, but it really isnt necessary for cleaning. I only tend to remove mine when its worn out and needs replacing.

As I ride quite often, mostly the bike gets a quick hosedown to remove loose stuff. A proper wash is done maybe every couple of weeks or so at this time of year.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I just started using the Tesco Daisy stuff, I upped the concentration and it's pretty effective... Not to mention the fact that it'll probably last the rest of my life and cost 60p 8) It's exactly as effective as Muc-off, on mud at least. It might eat my paint though, who knows :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • hot water, old toothbrush and various scratchies and brushes i don't go for perfection but brakes/forks and drive chain. i do make sure is clean and oiled if need be.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I use the Tesco stuff too ! Bargain !!
  • Oz.
    Oz. Posts: 1
    Power washer seemed to work fine, obviously you want to use some common sense and not have a too powerful jet
  • Oz. wrote:
    Power washer seemed to work fine, obviously you want to use some common sense and not have a too powerful jet
    I'd rather take a bit longer and not risk the bearing seal damage!
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    be careful with washing up liquid and car products, as they can damage alloy parts.

Nah, won't happen. I've been washing my bike for years with warm water and Fairy, even the aluminum framed ones and never had a problem.

I'm still waiting for the windows to fall out of my car because I use washing up liquid instead of car shampoo...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Ed 81
    Ed 81 Posts: 200
    agree with the above, heard so many times not to use washing up liquid to clean car/ bike but never known any one every to have a problem with it. Been cleaning cars for years and years with it
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Another here using the wondrous green liquid that is Fairy. No problems, and same as Dave, use it on the car as well.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    they only say dont use fairy because they want you to buy there rip off products. its basically a little secret that fairy liquid or slightly better car shampoo works a treat! seriously dont bother with special products unless they have really fooled you. at the end of the day the bike is made from alloy or titanium or whatever and its just like cleaning your car so why use different products?!?

if you want to argue with that i will need scientific proof before i believe in the myths of muc-off etc etc
  • Northwind
    Fairy does contain salt, which does corrode exposed metal and is a mild abrasive. If you use it on car bodywork, for instance, over time it will fade it and encourage swirling. If you use it on exposed aluminium, then it's noticable too. But the only time you'll see exposed ally on a mountain bike is where something's been damaged. I think that's the bit which people miss, most parts on a bike are anodised or painted or coated or otherwise protected against rust, so the salt isn't such an issue.

Still, it's not the best cleaner you could choose, the Tesco Daisy does a better job and is much cheaper.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ok well at the mo I'm just using a good old hose pipe. But is it a good idea to dry your bike off? I oil it up with WD40 but should I dry it too?
    "Clothing:
    None +3" Pure awesomeness!

A Felt Q520... My baby and first serious bike! - http://is.gd/9Vab
  • Fairy is a pretty potent degreaser, do you re-lube after each wash and rinse?
  • WD-40 is great for drying your bike, (not lubing or on discs though) some proper lube is necessary for chain and cables and mechs though.
  • What's this Tesco Daisy then? I'm nearly out of Muc-off (got with some halfords vouchers) and looking at alternatives.

Just got myself a Dirtworker about a month ago, it's great for rides that you travel to/from by car. Saves putting a minging bike on the roof and all the mud ending up on the car!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • I might have to look at getting a decnt lube for my gears and stuff but for now the WD40 will do untill I can. But I don't know when I can get out and do some decent trails again as I have to rely on my dad to take me :P
    "Clothing:
    None +3" Pure awesomeness!

A Felt Q520... My baby and first serious bike! - http://is.gd/9Vab
  • I use Halfords Advanced (?) car wash which is cheap and cheerful and gets the bikes sparkly clean to boot ;) I use GT85 after washing to get water out and also to give the bike a little polish and then lube the drivetrain up. I use Epic White lightning during the summer and Finishline Wet lube is this winters choice, so far so good.
    Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Dumb question I'm afraid. If you use WD40 or GT85 to dry the bike do you just spray the frame with it and wipe it off? Also are you careful to avoid getting it on the drivetrain or do you just wack it all over the bike?
  • Spray liberally over the bike obviously trying to avoid disc's and then give a rub down with an old rag. I usually give a good blast to the brake/gear levers to drive any water out that maybe lurking there and also give the drivetrain and bottom bracket and squirt too. If you do spray it onto you rotors by mistake then you can wipe them over with some alcohol wipes which you can get from a chemist or pharmacy. Or a hospital if your a nurse ;)

I normally spray this on after I've used a de-greaser & an old tooth brush to clean the chain and mechs which then gets rinsed off with water.
    Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • Northwind
    What's this Tesco Daisy then? I'm nearly out of Muc-off (got with some halfords vouchers) and looking at alternatives.
    !

It's just a really potent concentrated general cleaner, it costs about 60p for a bottle, which then dilutes down to something ridiculous like 50 litres of cleaner 8) I'm a wee bit wary of it, some products like this can attack paint and anodising, but I've been fine with it- I just make sure it's all rinsed off after. Keep your old muc off bottle!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have used Scottoil 365 spray successfully on my motorbike after washing and find that it stops corrosion and my bike washes much more easily next time. After a few applications (spray it on after a wash) a quick hose down and a light sponge cleans the bike. Started using it on my MTB and lo, same thing, clean bike , no corrosion, minimum effort. Result. Only £7 ish for a spray, big refills work out cheaper. Hein Gerricke and numerous other motorcycle shops sell this magic liquid. :D
    Tall n skinny
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Just a bump.

Anyone got a picture of this Tesco daisy stuff? Muc off / FS10 look far too expensive. £7 for a litre? What the hell is that about?
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • Anyone use a foam lance? lots of people in the car world use them to clean cars.. would work well if you have a karcher or similar (stops any high pressure damaging the bearings etc)
    Use it with fairy and it could be quite effective?!
  • ....Fenwicks FS1 (diluted with nine parts water to make FS10).....

LOL :D

M
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • Chevie
    Chevie Posts: 71
    So let me get this straight in my head, sorry to reapet everyone but i am a beginner an i need to undersstand how to look after me new Hopper

First wash off all mud wiv hose pipe then wiv bucket of fairy an water

Then at what point do spray WD40 or GT85 on your chain gears etc etc?
    Do you dry your bike off first then spray?
    Is WD40 an GT85 a lube an do i spray it every where

I've also seen all these different brushes you can buy for tyres an cassetts are these just another gimick or worth a buy if so which ones?

Hope i dont sound like too much of a idiot

Cheers
  • Chevie wrote:
    So let me get this straight in my head, sorry to reapet everyone but i am a beginner an i need to undersstand how to look after me new Hopper

First wash off all mud wiv hose pipe then wiv bucket of fairy an water

Then at what point do spray WD40 or GT85 on your chain gears etc etc?
    Do you dry your bike off first then spray?
    Is WD40 an GT85 a lube an do i spray it every where

I've also seen all these different brushes you can buy for tyres an cassetts are these just another gimick or worth a buy if so which ones?

Hope i dont sound like too much of a idiot

Cheers
    Buy a proper chain lube that is specific for the job. Check you LBS...