Timed a 10 miler on turbo tonight.

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
As part of around a 30 min session on my turbo trainer, I timed 10 miles tonight and was very surprised!

After a 10 min warm up I started timing my session. When I noticed coming to the end of my 20 min session (set on a 1% incline) that I was getting close to 10 miles I put in a little effort.

I ended with a 20min 56.4 second 10 mile time.

It is the first time I've even thought about timing this. Never thought I'd be able to go this fast - even though I reckon you will always be faster on a turbo.

Might try some TT's next year. . . .
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• Its not any kind of indicator at all mate im afraid. Ive done near 20 on a turbo but never gone sub 25 on the road!
  • FSR_XC
    I'd be well chuffed with a 25min TT.

I always imagined I would be able to do around 29 min for a TT
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

• mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    air resistance...
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Air resistance, topography, surface, weather, traffic, holding position,having to take care of the steering and not just pushing, pacing strategy......its all very different on the road!!!
  • The resistance of that turbo at "1% incline" is clearly nothing of the sort.

In the real world, that sort of pace on a 1% incline would require you to sustain somewhere north of 6W/kg for 20-min. We are talking world class elite level power possessed by only a few individuals.

The time would be more believable if the gradient setting was a 1% decline.
  • brownbosh wrote:
    Its not any kind of indicator at all mate im afraid.

Hi there.

Maybe not very useful as a real world indicator, but why don't you consider this a marker?

Try the same thing again in 4 weeks and see if there's any improvement. That way you'll know if your training plan is reaping benefits!

Cheers, Andy
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    def agree with that.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • FSR_XC
    brownbosh wrote:

Hi there.

Maybe not very useful as a real world indicator, but why don't you consider this a marker?

Try the same thing again in 4 weeks and see if there's any improvement. That way you'll know if your training plan is reaping benefits!

Cheers, Andy

Only my 3rd proper session on a turbo.

I will have a go a beating it in a few weeks.

• FSR_XC wrote:
    brownbosh wrote:

Hi there.

Cheers, Andy

Only my 3rd proper session on a turbo.

I will have a go a beating it in a few weeks.
    Cool.

Sorry if it's been mentioned but read up on how to calibrate it so that the resistance is as consistent from session to session as you can make it.

Some turbos need a bit of warm up time before the resistance stablises.
    Others keep drifting as time goes on.

But yeah - test, train and re-test to check progress is a good thing.
  • FSR_XC
    Wow, never though it needed calibrating or anything.

It is an old turbo. A Cateye Cyclosimulator cs 1000 as per link:

http://www.beyondmoseying.com/cateye-cs ... ainer.html

I was thinking of buying a new one, but this seems to do everything a new one does.

• cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Hello,

I'm afraid the Cateye turbo is not a good guide for timing a 10 mile tt compared to the real world. A friend of mine had one years ago and i had a go on it. It was like riding downhill for 10 miles. You need one that you can input your weight into the memory to put the right resistance on the roller.
    It is good for training on, and comparing your improvements over a period of time, like suggested in previous posts. The wattage reading are also on the very high side compared to say the Tacx turbos.
    To achieve a 21 minute 10 you would need to be putting out approx 350 watts in the real world.