Down hill in lancashire.

Whalley
Whalley Posts: 35
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
hello, I'm looking at crossing over from trails and xc to downhill, but need somewhere relativly local to get out and have a go at it before I shell out a shed load of cash on a down hill rig.

I'm desperate to get out and get doing it so if anyone has any advice or tips they are more than welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• There's some good routes down Rivington Pike, plenty of big boulders to hop off. Also I know there are a bunch of runs being carved down Gisburn Forrest, but I've not been there for a while. Last time I tried a piece of it I got a bent wheel and a bruised ego!

Also check out Lee Quarry in Bacup - you're XC skills will get you up, then test your DH metal on the black section http://adrenaline-gateway.co.uk/LeeQuarry.aspx

If you can get further afield, I think Dalamere Forest might be worht a visit, but can;t really vouch for that one.
  • There's also Wiswell Woods near Clitheroe, there are a few good runs there, but if it's been raining it's very slippy.
  • Whalley
    thanks for the information. If any one know of any more please let me know.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If you have a full day get up to the Lakes and do Walna Scar Road or Garbun. Not what you aked I know but it really will hone your downhilling.

Bacup quarry looks good.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    passout wrote:
    If you have a full day get up to the Lakes and do Walna Scar Road or Garbun. Not what you aked I know but it really will hone your downhilling.

Pushing a 40lb downhill bike up either of those sounds like fun. NOT!!!

I could show you loads of little short runs in the Cliviger Gorge near Burnley and the area around Todmorden and Hebden Bridge but there's nothing really of decent length that makes the push up worth while, unless you're prepared to make a day of it and do a full loop whcih kind of defeats the object for downhilling.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Or Scratchmere Scar in the lakes. Not Lancashire but not too far.
  • dave_hill
    pdid wrote:

It's far enough - about half-way between Penrith and Carlisle isn't it? :?
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • passout
    dave_hill wrote:
    passout wrote:

Pushing a 40lb downhill bike up either of those sounds like fun. NOT!!!

I could show you loads of little short runs in the Cliviger Gorge near Burnley and the area around Todmorden and Hebden Bridge but there's nothing really of decent length that makes the push up worth while, unless you're prepared to make a day of it and do a full loop whcih kind of defeats the object for downhilling.

Well you don't always have to train on your downhill bike - infact I'd do them on a hardtail if you really want to improve fast. Think line choice.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dave_hill
    passout wrote:
    Well you don't always have to train on your downhill bike - infact I'd do them on a hardtail if you really want to improve fast. Think line choice.

Agreed...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • pdid
    dave_hill wrote:
    pdid wrote:

It's far enough - about half-way between Penrith and Carlisle isn't it? :?

Just north of Penrith I think, and it depends which part of Lancashire you`re talking about. Prob about 1 hour from Lancaster which isn`t too far. Although I appreciate its a fair distance from south Lancashire.

Its surely worth a visit if you`re into downhill, it being a purpose built downhill trail which also has uplifts on certain days.

I did hear about a proposed bike park in Lancaster last year but have heard nothing since.

P
  • passout
    These some decent trails around Clapham - don't forget your passport! Not specifially down hill though.
  • Whalley
    Thanks guys. About what bike to use (hardtail or dh rig) I only have a hard tail, so that's what I'd be using.

Dave from burnley. I will try get my ass over your way and you can show me these trails. I don't drive so it's a case of finding a lift there. But il find one and let you know. What weekend days are you free to ride?
  • Whalley
    pdid wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:
    pdid wrote:

Its surely worth a visit if you`re into downhill, it being a purpose built downhill trail which also has uplifts on certain days.

P

Do you know what days? Or how I can find out?
  • Mancunianfightingcat

Wheres the start point for Wiswell Woods?
  • Go into Wiswell from Whalley and when you get to the middle/ There's a stone watering trough next to a stone wall on the right, about 15metres back down the road there's a track/road off to the left (it was on the right on you're way up!), follow this up until you reach a gate, go through it and climb over the stile to the left and through the field which normally has a couple of nosey horses in it. Climb over the stile or gate at the other side of the field and you're in the woods, follow the track for about 30metres and you'll see one of the courses crossing the path, follow it up to the top.
    There's a number of different runs with varying degrees of berms and doubles to suit most skill levels.
    Don't go up there at the moment though, it'll be really muddy and you'll just chew it up and ruin it for when it is dryer!
  • Cheers for that - I'll take your advice and walk it first to see what its like and ride it when its dry (prob around July 2009!)
  • pdid
    Whalley wrote:
    pdid wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:
    pdid wrote:

P

Do you know what days? Or how I can find out?

Found this for you:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21873597977

Never actually been myself.

Phil
  • I'm gunna have to get myself to scratchmere scar. Sounds awsome!