This should put the need a light question to bed.

2»

Comments

• Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    The problem with that light is the burn time. 2.25 hours is not enough for most of the rides that I do after dark.

2.25 Hours from a 5.5Amp battery pack! :o

My old cateye battery lasts over that! and thats a few years old, and its 4.4amps.
    (Cateye Stadium 3, 1600 Lumens... apparently)

I've seen a few Cateye Stadium 3's for sale, around the £50 mark. I think they are a bargain for that price. (I've seen one today for £75)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The superstar HID lamp is pulling more current as well as is 24 watt.

24/12 = 2amps

5500/2000 = 2.5 hours.

Seems they have measured it rather than relying on 'ideal' maths.

Cateye seems optimistic:

21/12 = 1.75amps

4400/1750 = 2.5 hours.

The same, yet cateye claim 3 hours lol.

Still, 50 quid seems a bargain!
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    I guess the Cateye ballast, must be more effecient than the Superstar one.

I've got 2.5+ hours from mine, and its well old... I've actually got a 6.6amp Li-Ion battery to try out... Once I get it re-wired correctly. :lol:

The only bad thing about the Cateye is the weight of the battery pack, I've got a Li-Ion one, that under half the weight.

The advantage of the LED lights, is they use Li-Ion batteries, which weigh very little, and the light has different settings. So it can be used on-road and off-road. With my Stadium, there is one setting.. Which is blinding!!

When is it time for a BikeRadar Lighting Forum!?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    supersonic wrote:
    Ah, seen them on ebay. The 900 lumens is max output of the LED at 10v though, so looking at half that with those batteries I think.

Not quite, it's how much amps the emitter draws and can the battery supply it, c bin p7's tend to max out at around 650/700 lumens, there are d bin which are rated between 700-800 lumen but the battery would only run max for around 40-50 minutes so not an ideal situation.

The lumen ratings are based on using an 18650 batter, i know of no p7's using cr123's and imo it'll be a pointless exercise as you'd be lucky to get 30 minutes at max setting.

It's tricky knowing what light will be good or a steaming heap off, personally im quite happy with the choices ive made, and they hardly broke the bank, certainly held their own against more expensive setups.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    Ah my mistake, the 900lm is not at 10v, but driven at 4.2v, 2.8amps as the maximum specified.

I think I might take a punt with your original, how much postage was it?
  • Dazzza
    Free shipping for all goods on dx, you just have to be very patient. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    Wow, I expected a 20 dollar surcharge on that! Works out much cheaper than ebay too. (43 quid delivered from far east).
  • Dazzza
    And they take paypal to boot, says free shipping next to the price btw. ;)

Watch the exchange rate though now the pound is weak it's around 1.52 dollars so may end up costing £24-£25 ish while i paid £22 hardly earth shattering but still.

Don't stay on dx too long it's tempting to go mad on there, lots of bits that are too cheap. :lol:

Naturally you'll need an 18650 charger and blue trustfire batts if you don't already have them, just look at the reviews, they're fairly decent.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    Just to think, few months a go rate was 2.10!

Much appreciated, could be the best light bargain by a long shot.
  • Dazzza
    2.10 crikey, just do yourself a favour and use jubilee clips, a lockblock was next to useless. :lol:

Just let us know how you get on, getting the right led is a fickle process, i just hope you'll be happy with the thing. ;)
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    All done! 2 x torch, 1 charger, 2 batteries, 96 dollars!