This should put the need a light question to bed.

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=202652

Some amazing shots, especially from fenix PD3, Which is real small.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Great thread, good find!
  • canada16
    I have spent the last week looking into this light thing and my opinion is

If you want to be seen and dont care about looks the LD20 by fenix is the way to go.

But if you want style with ALMOST the same power get the PD3 or the PD30 or TK11.

Yes the PD and TK both use special batteries but you can get the batteries with a charger for like 3-5 quid on ebay, with 100% feedback.

Its up to you, why spend hundred on a bike light when you can get one of these or two.

Grant you if you were doing proper, and I mean proper single track in the dark then yes you might need a 4led system from hope with 500 lumen, which cost 300.00 or something, or you can attach two of these with the same power and almost same run time for 100.00 not even.

Anyway, I have seen the above models on a bike clamp that fenix sell and they look pretty damn good, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L4EK2yVJtyQ

Anyway I hope this help people and to find out what they want and what they can afford.
  • supersonic
    The DIY options and torch conversions are certainly a great way to get lots of light for little money.

Superstar are doing the Brightstar MagLevin system for 235 quid delivered. 1750 lumens!

Most bike LEDs think are over expensive, even taking into account the specific design and generally better circuitry (on some models).
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Hmmmm... everytime I look at Superstar LED it still says....
    More information available soon... 2 years in development.

Launch date imminent
    :roll:

Ahh MAglevin is the HID system isn't it?
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • supersonic
    Ah bugger. You can get the cheaper systems elsewhere though. 1300 lm

http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=4&sku=59

Is a HID, but seems to have the efficiency at least as good as LED. Not sure of weight, but good news is Brighstar mactually manufacture the bulbs.
  • canada16
    I agree.

You can get a torch with 5000 lumen for quite cheap, but to get that in a bike system would not be possible, or if it was it would be so expensive.

The bike lights are the same as the torches just that the have a seperate battery pack.

So over priced, but they know people will pay, its called supply and demand.

If I had a cure for the common cold it probably would cost pence to make, but why sell it for that when I can make thousands.

Its a pitty taking advantage of us becuase they know we will pay.

800.00 For those betty lupine lights, and they have not even got great reviews.

I think we are on to a winner with these fenis lights, and starting at 113mm long thats quite short and not imposing at all.

And hey if the batteries go, pick some more up for a couple quid on ebay, not like the battery packs with bikes, they cost hundreds.
  • supersonic
    Some of the bigger battery packs draw over 20 watts of power, one reason they are more expensive! (plus they need the capacity to provide that for decent amount of time). But even then...
  • canada16
    Supersonic, I seen that light on my travels over the past week.

Got to say it looks powerful, but it does not have the run time of 3+ hours.

But then again the price is good and again high power.

You could land small aircraft at the lumen. :wink:

If that light had Hope stickered on it, that would cost 500.00+
  • supersonic
    Pity they dont offer a higher capacity battery.
  • canada16
    Yeh kinda anoying.

Go to work in the dark come home in the dark, it gets dark on the trails early.

But these lights take 2 cr123a batteries, you can get 4 re-charge ones and a charger for 5.00 on ebay.

So take a spare set on the trail pull over and boom you got almost 6 hours of run time at 200+ lumen with a cree light for under £50.00 bucks.

Proof is in the pudding, I am buying one of the fenix models and bike clamp at the end of the month and will let you guys know how the ride is.

If its anything like the reviews say, cars will be flashing for me to turn down the lights :lol:
  • supersonic
    I am so tempted to get the big 1300 unit! But probably bottle it and get some tesco crees lol
  • canada16
    Some guy on here swears buy those tesco lights.

I might go down to tesco, open a pack of batteries on isle 4 then run to isle 6 were the bike stuff is, plop them in and If people start telling me to pi55 with the light then they are good, if not start whistling and put it back and call it a demo model .... LOL :lol:
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    supersonic wrote:
    I am so tempted to get the big 1300 unit! But probably bottle it and get some tesco crees lol

I'm unsure but don't know why.
  • supersonic
    I have seen good reviews on MTBR, but yet to see a beam shot. Is a gamble I admit, but on a light per pound basis, is great value. 50% more output than a Hope!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd be wary of batteries off ebay - the ones I bought a while back never seemed to live up to their ratings.

The Tesco torch is well worth a tenner. OK its not as bright or functional as the Fenix - but it is a quarter of the cost.
  • Paul Sh
    Looks good, hmmmm i don't know, like you say beam a shot would be good, i'll ponder on it.
  • Paul Sh
    Here's a pic of one mounted, looks like it would easily get hit in the smallest of crashes.
    8voiz4.jpg
  • canada16
    Thanks for that.

I might buy some good quality ones with a charger, it should not be too expensive.

Beats paying a packet for proper bike lights with half the spec.

Plus fenix sells them, but I think they are quite expensive, like 30.00 for the batteries and charger.

Overpriced.

Will buy light first and worry about the batteries later.. LOL thats just the way I am, were there is a will there is a way.. eh!
  • cougie
    Aww sod it.

Just been out with camera phone - Fenix LD20 and the Tesco torch.

Control - this is dark in my garden
    kccfio.jpg

Fenix LD20 on High Power 94 lumens (5 hours)
    2n0ko5t.jpg

Fenix LD20 on Turbo 180 lumens constant (2 hours)
    1zzt8vc.jpg

Tesco on
    vrsyae.jpg

My camerawork leaves a lot to be desired....

I think the Tesco looked better than the pic shows - in practice - the beam is almost as bright as the Fenix LD20 on medium beam (not shown)- so somewhere close to 80-90 lumens I guess ?
  • cougie
    Oh that reflective thing is an ankle strap slap on - its probably about 30 feet away.

And that reminds me its still out in the garden. Damn....
  • supersonic
    Don't camera phones auto adjust light settings?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    For a fair comparison exposure always has to be set to manual.

Good to see ultrafire high on their list,it's a budget version of surefire if you will with similar quality, i use their c1 with a superbright p60 host, works a treat as a helmet light.

Canuk, bike lights have always been a rip off but the tide is slowly turning, it's getting increasingly easier to diy your own lights parts are becoming more available.

My little mte p7 cost me £22, two of those and my £10 c1 i'll be kicking out close to 1700 lumens.

Im all for a decent bike light but at current prices they can forget it, even lupine want 350 euros for their tazer led light that uses the very same p7 emitter.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • cougie
    No idea about the auto exposure - i would think that two tesco torches would be about as good as a fenix ld20 on high - or there abouts.
  • supersonic
    Dazzza wrote:
    For a fair comparison exposure always has to be set to manual.

Good to see ultrafire high on their list,it's a budget version of surefire if you will with similar quality, i use their c1 with a superbright p60 host, works a treat as a helmet light.

Canuk, bike lights have always been a rip off but the tide is slowly turning, it's getting increasingly easier to diy your own lights parts are becoming more available.

My little mte p7 cost me £22, two of those and my £10 c1 i'll be kicking out close to 1700 lumens.

Im all for a decent bike light but at current prices they can forget it, even lupine want 350 euros for their tazer led light that uses the very same p7 emitter.

What P7 set up have you got and where from?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    edited October 2008
    This.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623

They can suffer with weak springs, easily remedied, i bought some tap washers and a brass dowell from b&q, drilled the washer so the dowell will fit nice and tight, clamped a mole grips behind the washer and ground them both down to desired width.

If you use say a coin you may risk shorting if it touches the sides, sounds like hassle but it was an easy 10 minute job, works a treat.

I bought that mte as it has the best beam pattern/emmiter out of all p7 torches i looked at.

You could try this one, im thinking about next time i get a p7.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15739

I stick with 2 mode as they tend to be brighter, bit of a long winded explanation. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    Ah, seen them on ebay. The 900 lumens is max output of the LED at 10v though, so looking at half that with those batteries I think.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    cjw wrote:
    Hmmmm... everytime I look at Superstar LED it still says....
    More information available soon... 2 years in development.

Launch date imminent
    :roll:

Ahh MAglevin is the HID system isn't it?
    supersonic wrote:
    Ah bugger

Is it just the LED lights that are still in development?

The 1750 lumen light is a HID. It may be available now.

EDIT:

It is. Lifted the following off of Superstar Component's website:

High capacity Lithium Ion Battery.

Brightstar Maglevin 24W HID lamp.

High power 24W High Intensity Discharge lamp gives huge light output for the power usage.

Amazing 1750 Lumen output, making it over 3 times brighter than Lupines new updated Wilma light, at half the price! Comparible output to 140W halogen light, or both an average car full beam combined!

Large capacity 5.2Ah battery pack will last 2.25 hours. Spare batteries availible.

They are fully water resistant.

Price £235 inc delivery to the UK

Instock now. Delivered Next day before 1pm, included in price :D

(I added the smiley)
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • supersonic
    Wow. You'd have to strap a lighthouse to your bars to beat that!
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    The problem with that light is the burn time. 2.25 hours is not enough for most of the rides that I do after dark.

I still prefer the AyUps as it gives me adequate light with just the bar light on, and really good light with both the bar and helmet light. I also usually end up in the plantations doing single track quite a bit and having a helmet light is essential!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I just eat lots of carrots.