Cyclocross brakes

jpembroke
jpembroke Posts: 2,569
edited October 2008 in Workshop
I'm currently racing with a set of good ol' Tektro Oryx brakes. These are OK, reasonably powerful, but they have zero mud clearance. So, I'm thinking of getting some wide profile brakes e.g. Froglegs, TRP EuroX, Tektro CR520. Anyone have experience of any of these? Good, bad, ugly?

Also, why is it that - with the exception of the Tektro CR520 and a handul of others - nearly all CX brakes use peg mount brake blocks? Is there a reason for this? Just seems a hassle having that lack of adjustment.
I'm only concerned with looking concerned

Comments

• I think you have answered tour own question - Tektro CR520. It is the adjustability of them that really helps.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    I think you have answered tour own question - Tektro CR520. It is the adjustability of them that really helps.

Noticed a few bikes with these fitted at my last race - reminiscent of some of the late 80s/early 90s offerings from Shimano and Weinmann. It seems that brake manufacturers have woken up in recent years to the fact that there is still a market for wide-profile cantilevers.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    I've got the CR520s and can recommend them. The only minor downside I've experienced is that with so much adjustability, they did take a bit of fiddling with to get 'just right'. Now they're sorted though (and it doesn't take too long) they work really well.

They're not pretty though, and seem to sprout grub screws and bolts all over the place - this won't matter when they're caked in mud though!
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    This is interesting as I was about to fit a set of Frogglegs tomorrow to replace my Tektro Oryx brakes.

I seem to be having clearance/leaver pulling to bar/pad wear issues that seems to mean the only way to get good performance is to put in new pads regularly. Sunday's race with lots of wet gravel (mixed with what I can only describe as builder's sand) completely destroyed the front pads.*

It seems that all the team riders I've looked at are using the Frogglegs brakes and I'm very tempted to change to em to get the clearance, leverage and (allegedly) better pad life.

If it helps, Burnley's book says that other good options are Cane Creek SCX-6 and Avid Shorty 6.

Cheers,
    Steve

*Disclaimer: I'm new to 'cross and I'm pretty sure my cornering technique isn't great - using the brakes too much; riding the front brake too hard.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    The Cane Creek and Avid Shorty brakes are pretty much the same as Tektro Oryx i.e. low profile cantis. I think I want to give the traditional style wide profile cantis a go because of their superior mud clearance. As I said above, I'm happy with the stopping power of the Oryx brakes; it's just the rim clearance that's the problem.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd go for the Tektro 520s - wide mounts but they use a Vee-brake style cartridge mounting which means you can adjust the alignment easier than with post-mount pads. Most low profile cantis are OK for road use but get clogged with mud. Try Zepnat's online/ebay store.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bart Puss
    Bart Puss Posts: 169
    On my crosser I originally had a pair of the Tektro brakes u mention but found them to be poor....so I got them changed to a pair of Avid 6`s which were an improvement but would n`t stop u in an emergency. They make great racing brakes as they scrub off the speed without grabbing but as an out and out stopper they leave a lot to be desired.

Eventually got myself a second cross bike and fitted some Empella Frog Legs which do seem a bit better than either of the above.

Although I`m a heavy rider so the brakes have their work cut out at the best of times !!! :wink:
    MEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW