Shimano spd A530 pedals.

Onan
Onan Posts: 321
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Just a quick question before I buy them. They are called road touring pedals, and at online stores, tend to be listed under road pedals, but do they use the MTB recessed cleat system, or the road bike sticky outy cleat system?

Here's a link to some, because I imagine most of you who are not complete noobs like me can just look at them and tell me.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... 0000000000

Thanks in advance for your help. I won't be buying online by the way. I'll be heading down to my LBS for shoes and pedals, as I will need to try stuff out. I just want to be well researched about what's available before I go down there.
Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep, they take the mtb type recessed cleat system.

Kind of a hybrid; the mtb cleat system, but one sided and with the support of a road pedal

I have double sided mtb pedals on my road bike
  • I have 2 pairs of these pedals (2 bikes) and they are the MTB style cleat, I bought Shimano shoes to wear when cycling and the cleats are recessed.

I bought this style of pedal because I only have a short ride to work and back and can't be arsed to go the whole hog and wear cycling gear when I'm only on the bike for 15 minutes, weekends though are a different matter and obviously on a longer ride I use the cleats.
    Tarpaullynn
  • Onan
    Thanks for your help. They seem ideal to me. I can wear normal shoes if i can't be bothered to clip in for my commute, and when i am wearing my cleats, I won't have to worry about getting clipped in too much, because the flat side of the pedal will still work with the recessed cleats.

I think these are the pedals I'll go with.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Shimano also do a dual purpose mtb pedal M324 which is spd one side and a plain platform on the other. Had them on my mtb so I could use it for poppin down the shops in ordinary shoes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 000000039/
  • Onan
    keef66 wrote:
    Shimano also do a dual purpose mtb pedal M324 which is spd one side and a plain platform on the other. Had them on my mtb so I could use it for poppin down the shops in ordinary shoes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 000000039/

Yep, I'll take a look at those too.

:D
  • Rezillo
    Rezillo Posts: 95
    I have these and they're very good - ideal for hopping off on a short errand without having to put my cycling shoes on.

They are supposed to have an optional reflector kit, SM-PD61, and as I've started doing some night riding, I thought I would buy one but it seems impossible to get hold of. My LBS was told they are not available in the UK.

On the other hand, I've seen posts where others have found their 530s came with the reflectors fitted. If anyone wants a few bob for theirs.....

John
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Have had both m324 and a530 and the a530 is not as big or holds the foot as well as the m324 however for short journeys where you are nipping back and forth they are light, look good and perform well. The m324 is a much more robust design really for those that want to do longer miles in ordinary shoes. Both great though however the a530 for anyone that can use cleats is by far the better of the 2 options in my opinion however for the nervous who haven't mastered spd yet and do more than a few miles then the m324 is the best bet though anyone really wanting to get used to spd will quickly outgrown the m324 once they master spds as the m324 is just so big and bulky and really quite ugly.
  • once i mastered the cleat system, I found it impossible to ride without them...ie everytime I used the flat side on my old racer my feet kept slipping...I hated riding without cleats so much more efficient. Yes you do fall off at the start but only really when you ie stop at traffic lights and can't get your foot out of the cleat quickly enough....and make's you look rather silly. After a very short time you will wonder how you ever managed without them....believe me :D

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
    www.runningfree.co.uk