click click squeak squeak groan

2»

Comments

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    ooh that's not why I've taken up Italian but an added bonus :)
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • linsen
    Right, back on track....

I have loosened, photographed, over-tightened, loosened and tightened the headset and all seems to be okay now. Still click click click click when I cycle, seems to be coming from the front wheel.

Bearings?

Do I need to remove the wheel and replace / clean the bearings?

Do I need to replace the wheel?

"Replace bike, it sound slike a heap of old sh*t" not an option - it may be a piece of rubbish, but it's MY piece of rubbish....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok lets say it is the hub, could be the balls just moving over a patch on the bearing race.

again have a read of the servicing the cone and cup hubs on park tools.

cone spanners are really needed. as is grease and do not do any work near the fridge as the balls will want to hide under it.

it is a fairly simple job.
    link below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • linsen
    thank you, bike-mending hero :)
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    All fixed? I like happy endings.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • linsen
    hmm that woudl be overstating it somewhat. I have half term next week so I was going to find a translation guide for the parktools website then (surely it is another language?) and probably break the old dear forever!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    have you checked the spokes - a lot of strange noises can come from them. If you tap all the front ones with anything metal you should get approx the same sound out of them. Also clean them with a bit of wire wool and put a drop of oil where they touch each other. Same for the back wheel although often you will get slightly different sounds from left and right spokes as they are tensioned differently.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.