click click squeak squeak groan

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited October 2008 in The workshop
... is exactly what the noise coming from (I think) my front wheel is, as I first cycle, then speed up, then go up a hill. Also vibrating a little in my feet on the pedals which before has been a bottom bracket issue. But noise definitely coming from thefront. This is exactly the kind of bike which I do not want to spend £50 on at the LBS getting fixed (silk purse sow's ear etc etc), but I need it for getting around town and I don't want to give up on it.

Advice?
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does it happen when pedaling or not?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • linsen
    yes when pedalling. trying to think whether it also happens when not
  • linsen
    just checked. Clicky rather than squeaky when freewheeling. Brakes not rubbing
  • nicklouse
    so we can rule out the drive train.

can you wobble the wheel across the fork (left - right when seated on the bike)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • linsen
    do you mean is it loose? Feels solid to me
  • nicklouse
    ok. now turn the wheel to 90 degrees and rock the bike back and forwards and clicks? movement in the headset?
  • linsen
    YES!
    Now what?
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    The next thing to do would be to check the headset properly, presuming you have an aheadset undo the 2 bolts that clamp the stem onto the forks, then try tightening the aheadset top cap that is situated on top of the stem, if it is lose then that is your problem, however remember that all this is doing is pulling down the stem towards the forks, overtightening it would damage the bearings and could cause more problems. Difficult to explain how tight it needs to be but should be around 1 finger tight.

Dont ride the bike untill it is sorted, you could damage the bearings, head tube and forks.
  • linsen
    okay I will need to process all that when I have had some lunch. I think it's probably knackered - it's a very cheap old bike
  • nicklouse
    Ok so we have found the problem.

have a read on parktools about the two different types of headsets.
  • linsen
    I have undone the handlebars and taken that long screw out but handlebars don't seem to come out.....

I've spied some bearings. They look quite manky
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Woah - you have entered a new dimension of bike tech wizardry. Bearings were never meant to be actually seen by normal people. The rules you have come to trust and rely on no longer apply. Godspeed in your quest, linsen.
  • linsen
    You make the rather rash assumption that I'm normal, Blondie!
  • linsen
    By the way I still can't get the handlebars off. Parktools website made me feel very stupid and sent me into a trance. I retightened it all before I dash off to get the children from school.

Doesn't wobble any more.

Doesn't steer either though

I sense this battle is not yet over....
  • nicklouse
    linsen
    when you have got the kids lets have a picture.

NO not the kids the headset area so we all know what we are dealing with.
  • linsen
    well this is all getting very exciting.

If you thought I was finding it hard to get the headset sorted, I will prove it nigh on impossible to get a photo onto here. How do I do that?
  • linsen
    Watch this space. I have a birthday to attend to then I'll try the photo challenge later.
  • biondino
    linsen wrote:

The first person to ever figure out what my username means! Well, the first to translate it, anyway. Chapeau ;)
  • linsen
    grazie :D
  • nicklouse
    linsen wrote:
    well this is all getting very exciting.

If you thought I was finding it hard to get the headset sorted, I will prove it nigh on impossible to get a photo onto here. How do I do that?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12558470
    step by step...
  • linsen
    robinsonsandbikeheadsetqs0.th.jpg
  • linsen
    robinsonsandbikeheadsetse6.th.jpg

If this works too here is the top and bottom of headset. I can't get the handlebars out. My clever husband came home and screwed it back together and claims to have fixed it. Obviously I'm unconvinced...

BUT - when the front wheel freewhels there seems to be noise coming from the hub on the front wheel. A clicking. But now I'm confused because when I did the 90degree rocking test there was definitely play in the headset.
  • nicklouse
    ok you have a threaded headset

and a clean and a regrease will sort it.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127

have a read, but you may not need to replace the headset.
  • linsen
    do I need to take the handlebars off though? How do I do that?
  • nicklouse
    ok you loosened the long bolt.

what you now need to do is losen the wedge. see below.
    800px-Quill_stems.JPG

so with the bolt loosened a bit tap it down to break the chemical lock that will have happened over the years.

once lose it should just pull out.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    biondino wrote:
    linsen wrote:

The first person to ever figure out what my username means! Well, the first to translate it, anyway. Chapeau ;)

Stop flirtng Biondino, some guy translated your name ages ago, but you ignored him. Oh, and why does someone so undeniably dark haired call himself Little Blonde One?
  • linsen
    I will try to get the blighter apart. Might have to wait till the weekend now....

Thank you Nicklouse you are very helpful. Well I have that impression anyway!

What can I do about the click click click from the front wheel hub?
  • nicklouse
    Mmm again on park tools and the how to service a cone and cub bearing.

needs a clean floor and kids away as the bearings are lose and the balls can fly away.

Fridgesuck is the main cause.

but with tools and time it is not too bad to do.
  • biondino
    Coriander wrote:
    Stop flirtng Biondino, some guy translated your name ages ago, but you ignored him. Oh, and why does someone so undeniably dark haired call himself Little Blonde One?

*Stop* flirting? Eh?

And I'll have you know I was very blonde as a kid. Though the reason I'm called biondino is cos when I lived in Italy my best mate was also called Mark so we needed to differentiate. He was Chinese/Spanish/Jamaican so you can imagine who had the fairer hair.
  • biondino
    And Cori, you of all people should know how sexy it is when a woman speaks Italian ;)