ATC5K - first impression

mr_hippo
mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
You may recall that my one month old Trek 7200 was written off in May as was a new jersey, new helmet and my ATC2K. I was going to replace it with the new ATC3K with its 4GB capacity but I decided to wait for the ATC5K. It arrived today. I’m glad I waited!
The main differences between the ATC3K and the ATC5K are a small 1.5 inch colour LCD display, remote control and a better arrangement of switches. I found the ATC’s switches a bit fiddly. There are three switches below the rear LCD display – on/off, menu & confirm and two on the top – video mode and still mode. The screen hinges down to reveal the battery compartment, memory card slot and USB port.
One problem that I had with the 2K has now been resolved - alignment, I was either too high, too low and leaning one way or the other. No such problems with 5K – turn the unit on, look at the screen and adjust! I did have it on the handlebars for a tryout but I think it may be better on the helmet – I’ll sit on the bike in my normal cycling position and get Mrs Hippo to do the adjusting.
I have not tried the remote control out yet, neither have I tried it in web cam mode.
I know you can get better systems but they are more expensive. It suits my purpose and is not too expensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH0LFIgqDkQ

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looking at pics of the camera online I'd get distracted by the screen when I was riding along. Still wouldn't say no to one if somebody wants to give me an ATC5K.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I used to use the nikon L10 compact on my bike - as you know from these lil nikons the screen is always on and I found no distraction really. I suppose you just set and forget and get used to that.

I see the 5k seems to have the same issues with contrast and auto-exposure as the 2 and 3k models. The angle of view doesnt look that different to my 3k.

Good little video, gave it 5 stars. :)