Candy C pedals

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited September 2008 in XC and Enduro
I have a set of Candy C pedals which were fitted to my bike from the get go.

However after trying them quickly in the garage, the actual clip-in mechanism seems MUCH firmer than my old SPD (both LX and the DX platform types).

They were s firm that I removed them from the bike and put a set of flats on to get used to the bike before getting locked in and pranging it!

Are Candys pretty firm - if so how long till they bed-in and loosen up a little?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well lets put it this way. Shimano SPDs can be adjusted for the release tension. Candys can not be adjusted and dont really loosen up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • my candy sl's have eased a little from when new, and now are very easy in and out,
    took me a couple of rides to sus it as i came from flats to them but now wouldnt be without! great in mud as yo uhave 4 effective sections top clip into rather than the one!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • gcwebbyuk
    Still not sure about these pedals - tried them again and went straight back to my flats.

In the past I have used Shimano LX and Shimano PD-M636 DX pedals and found them really easy to use.

So now I have a conundrum - do I carry on and keep trying these pedals or just give up and swap back to Shimano.

If I go Shimano, should I go for XT (roughly £40) or splash out and get an upgrade at the same time and go XTR (£70ish)

What sort of price would I then get back for the Candys on ebay or is it not worth it?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    I would use xtr pedals along with the crank brothers shoe shields, makes them very easy to engage with bags of float.

You can get them new off fleabay for £58 btw ;)

I had candy sl's, switching back to xtr was the best move ive made, they won the pedal roundup in wmb this month. ;)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25138
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • gcwebbyuk
    What do the shoe shields actually do then other than protect the sole of the shoe?

They will be used with Specialized MTB Comp shoes...
  • Dazzza
    Well i run sidi's so i needed to protect the sole, but they had the surprising bonus of making it easier to engage with more float.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • gcwebbyuk
    Well I ordered them from Merlin via ebay (£59.99 delivered!) so will try them as is - and then if they are still tricky will get some of those protectors.

Many thanks Dazzza! 8)
  • Dazzza
    No worries, you'll love em. :)
    Giant Anthem X