bike computers.

starsky007
starsky007 Posts: 185
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone tell me if a polar cs300 hrm computer is worth the cash?.
Im after a new computer for my bike as i lost my other one 2 wks ago on a ride.
what about a garmin 705?.
can anyone recommend the best.
nice new giant trance 3
also ht coyote
s-works epic 2008.

Comments

• Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    I'm using a 205, excellent as a computer as no cables etc
    Nicolai CC
  • the LIDL cycle computer is a bargain at £20 - and it has heart monitor, average/max speed, distance, temperature and altitude. And it's wireless! At £20 it doesn't really matter if it gets broken or lost!

I've had mine for ages now and it is still going strong...
    Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
    Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Bought mine from ALDI for £12.99 it has 32 functions including a hart rate monitor plus it's wireless. I've done a few hundred kilometres of pretty mucky riding and it's holding up.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Well "The Best" has got to be the Garmin Edge 705, although I have the 305 and its superb! - GPS data logging so you can see where youve been, brilliant.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • I have a Garmin edge 705 with Topo map of the UK and have to say it has been a great purchase.

Not only does it do the normal bike computer stuff with heart rate strap etc but with the mapping and GPS you just don't get lost any more. Totally takes the anxiety of being stuck in a forest or wondering which way to turn next when following a route. Went to Swinley a while back and just put the car as a waypoint, went exploring with the local map and the GPS map showed the bridleways so was easy to see where you were. At the end of our day simply followed the bridleways back to the motor. A couple of friends went on their own and got lost a few weeks later so am glad we had this along.

Unless you got a route uploaded spot on then always have the paper version with you.

Expensive but has transformed going out and trying new routes as finding ones way is very easy.
    2008 Rockhopper Disc (Silver)
    2009 RockShox SID Race forks.
    XT Drivetrain
    Continental Speed Kings (PR) Traction
    Garmin 705 Navigation
    Fat bloke on a bike engine