Rack Advice for Co-Pilot Limo

pieinthesky
pieinthesky Posts: 417
edited August 2008 in Family & kids cycling forum
We have a Rhode Gear (now Co-Pilot) Limo child seat and rack, which is a fantastic bit of kit.

I want to get a second rack so the seat can be swapped between bikes and I have been told by a couple of shops that I need a standard Blackburn EX 1 rack.

Now I have a Blackburn rack already which I believe (but am not sure) to be an EX1 and it does not fit the child seat.

The only difference between the two racks is that the rack that came with the seat tapers toward the back.

Can anyone tell me:

Does the EX1 rack taper toward the back?
Are the bike shops wrong about using an EX1 rack?
Has the design of the seat changed (ours is a few years old) to fit the standard Blackburn rack?

Or does anyone know the web address for the manufacturer/importer - I cant find it.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• whuffman
    whuffman Posts: 1
    If your rack is like mine (I don't recall the model of Blackburn), I had to cut an approximately 1/8" vertical piece of aluminum from the hole in the front of the rack where the tongue of the seat slides in. I used a hacksaw and cleaned it up with a flat file.Then the tubes in the back of the rack were not round but oval tubes. I think the seat channels are designed for round tubes. I took a pair of Vice Grips and a piece of cardboard and squezed the tube where it need to go in the seat into a round shape. The cardboard kept the vice grips from chipping the paint and scaring the aluminum. [/quote]
  • Ian Sims
    Ian Sims Posts: 735
    We bought our Rhode gear Limo in 2003. I thought then that "I already had a spare Blackburn rack, so would be able to mount it on tow bikes without a problem". However, Blackburn have changed the shape of their racks, so I ended up buying a second rack anyway.

Ian
  • Mombee
    Mombee Posts: 170
    Hi,

we use our Limo on two bikes and had no problems with the second rack. It was a standard Blackburn rack and we didn't have to resort to using a hacksaw on it.

Cheers, Mombee.
    http://www.mombee.com ... more than just bikes.
    Cannondale CAADX Disc