Touring New Zealand

Nick Hill
Nick Hill Posts: 413
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi Folks

We are going to new zealand for about 6 months next year as part of a 3 year trip

we will be then doing Oz and Japan on the way back

Question is will a Hewitt Cheviot be up to the roads in NZ and do I go 26" or 700C

many thanks

Nick
Cheers

Nick

Its not a vest its a base layer!!

Comments

• Nick Hill wrote:
    Hi Folks

We are going to new zealand for about 6 months next year as part of a 3 year trip

we will be then doing Oz and Japan on the way back

Question is will a Hewitt Cheviot be up to the roads in NZ and do I go 26" or 700C

many thanks

Nick

Well I've found the roads here to be in a pretty bad state compared to the UK. Often coarse chipped tarmac and cheap resurface dressing. I've not yet strayed from Auckland and the Coromandel but I've been picking up a fair number of punctures.

I'd be tempted to go with the 26" to be honest, even though I had a scan through Josie Dew's book on her cycle tour in NZ the other day and she didn't have a single puncture!

There are still some gravel roads in places, and they'd be more comfortable with a 26" no doubt. Spares wise you'd have no probs whatever choice you go with.
  • RyanBrook
    RyanBrook Posts: 195
    Just get some heavy duty non puncture 700s imo. A 3 year trip sounds like fun. Are you working and travelling? Or do you just have tens of thousands saved and ready to spend? Where else are you heading?
  • Ian Sims
    Ian Sims Posts: 735
    I wouldn't worry about the bike, the Cheviot will be fine, but certainly do invest in some good tyres. I now ride with Marathon Pluses on two of my bikes. I would also go with wider tyres, depending on what you can fit. This would give you more freedom to ride gravel roads and trails.

Having said that I've managed some pretty rough roads and trails around the place with 700C x 28 (although I generally use 32s).

Ian
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    excuse me for butting in on your post Nick.
    We are going to South Island for 4 weeks next March. Hiring a car and staying B&B etc. Taking in as many tourist spots as reasonable.
    Question is should we take the Bike Friday (folding) tandem? Would it ge used?
    What do others think?
    Chris
  • Ian Sims
    Chris,

Mmmmm, I wonder about this. It would be good to have the BF available, but distances between places, especially in the South Island, are quite large. I guess it depends on how much you want to try and see. For instance, Te Anau to Milford Sound is around 85 km of difficult terrain (especially climbing back out of Milford), so that would be a day in, a day on the Sound and day back out again.

Having said this, there is some spectacular riding to be done if time permits.

Ian

(By the way, we are having lots of fun with our BF Traveler - it's set up for myself and 4 year old son and can put the bike seat on for my daughter too.)
  • Good choice of bike! I have a Hewitt and we cycled across S America a few years ago - some pretty awful roads out there. Paul put some Schwabble Marathons on and I got one puncture on the first day - that was the last one though!!

A wider tyre is a good tip. I went for 26" simply based on the fact it was easier to get repairs done out there with that size wheel.

I've had the bike 3 years now and its still as good as when I first got it (maybe not quite so shiny though! :lol: )

Have you set a website up for this trip, sounds epic, very jealous, enjoy!
  • Hello,
    Looking for advice here...
    Due to fly very soon myself and am wondering about how to transport alll my camping kit for an extended tour.
    The oversize allowance is 32kg plus your cabin at 7kg.
    When you consider that all up my machine will weigh in at around 50kg+ plus the packaging I am at least 15kg short of available allowance.
    Sooo...
    I am thinking about sending some gear that is not immediatly essential out by freight which is a minimum charge of £143 one way once all fees have been paid.
    Got any other ideas other than taking a boat...?
    Thanks in advance
    Treewheeler
    (Tricycle Tuggo of A.U.K)
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Treewheeler: I may as well be the first to say this: If your bike + kit weighs 50+kg you are carrying way too much stuff! IMO, 39kg should be plenty(!) even including a cardboard bike box.

F'rinstance: bike = 15kg maximum (much more than this and I'd be very worried), F+R panniers = 3kg, say tent = 3kg (1.5kg/person should be possible), bag = 1.5kg, mat = <1kg, stove, etc = <1kg, spare clothes (not worn onto plane) = say 3kg, tools and spares = ~1kg, first aid = <0.5kg, toiletries, etc = <0.5kg, "stuff" = 1kg (ie maps, MP3, etc), bike box = ~4kg

Total of above = 34.5kg

All the weights above are conservative - i.e., heavy - and IME several kg could be saved. I've certainly carried much less weight in more remote places than anywhere in NZ. The only reason to lug much more would be if food needed to be carried for several days, and that's something one would buy after the flight...and NZ isn't so huge one would need to do this for cycle touring.

Perhaps you are taking a trike though - in which case you must like suffering in any case. :roll: If so, please disregard what I said above!

============================

Re bike choice: I reckon 700C should be fine provided you were to take at least 32mm tyres if staying bitumen, or as wide as possible for dirt roads; 26" would be fine too. Less weight carried = less work for both you and the tyres!!!
  • I'd have to agree with the above 50kg+ is a lot of weight, what are you taking with you :? ? What set up have you got? Could you not get some of the stuff (?) once you arrive in NZ?

Curious
  • Did I not read somewhere that Josie Dews machine weighed in at 62kg on the road...?
    More than her in fact by far!
    I am whittling the weight down daily...
    The bike is a perfectly ordinary 531 trad' tourer and 15kg is bang on for such.
    Some of my weight was 'work' clothes as I hoped to do some WWOOFing out there but that seems to be restricted to under 30's for visas... Bollocks to them!
  • Well that's something I was unaware of, but I guess you can take whatever you like when your carrying it all ! :D

Seriously though, I'd be looking to half the weight you've accumulated in your panniers ... :)

Hope you have a great trip, keep us posted.
  • Getting lighter by the day...!
    Also had several e-mails about WWOOFing from the organisation.
    Apparantly, N.Z requires a work visa (what I am unlikely to ever get) and advises that many WWOOFers just keep quiet about it when asked at customs.
    Like France, the state views bartering your time for food etc as something taxable unlike the U.K.
    Ordered Schwalbe Marathon Plus 37mm today.
    Trangia arrived and I'm awaiting a Dragonfly 2XT tent from Cotswold (15% discount with the C.T.C)
    Not sure whether to go sandals or shoes due to the sandfly issue... could always wear socks I suppose...
  • Ian Sims
    "Not sure whether to go sandals or shoes due to the sandfly issue... could always wear socks I suppose..."

They'll get through your socks, the little buggers! Go for shoes, but maybe you can bring sandals for off-bike wear.

Ian
  • Top tip from the top there!
    Thanks
    Stue
  • We have just got home from 3 months in Italy, UK and France. Our road surface is rougher than yours a corse chip is the norm here, But we have no where near the pot holes you do and other road obsticales like drain covers etc. I do all my touring here fully loaded on 700*32 contis. I have done 100s of km on gravel with not a pucture or any problems. Sometimes the gravel roads are smoother than the seal, unless they have been recently graded. Gravel roads give you a lot more route options to stay off the SHWs where most of the idiots drive.
    I wear Shimano sandels for all my summer touring.
    Not sure when you are due to get here, but if you need any help or a bed, just mail us. We live in the middle of the Nth Island half way between Rotorua and Taupo at a tiny place called Reporoa.
    You can find out more about us and ridding in NZ from the fantastic www.crazyguyonabike.com a huge resourse for touring any where in the world. Jo and Dave Whitney's journal are exceptionaly good as they have spent so much time over here. I am doing my best to catchup with the roads they have covered. I have posted journals of less used roads in our enteries. at www.crazyguyonabike.com/brownbs

Good luck with the ride, may the people you meet be nice and the sun and wind stay on your back.
    Cheers Brian & Sue
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Did I not read somewhere that Josie Dews machine weighed in at 62kg on the road...?
    More than her in fact by far!
    I am whittling the weight down daily...
    The bike is a perfectly ordinary 531 trad' tourer and 15kg is bang on for such.
    Some of my weight was 'work' clothes as I hoped to do some WWOOFing out there but that seems to be restricted to under 30's for visas... Bollocks to them!

Went to a talk by Josie last night including New Zealand - her latest book may be worthwhile research material.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • I have toured in many of the places she has here and abroad. I find she has a very negative outlook on people and places. So her experiences were nothing like ours. Ignore what she says about any wherem, go and make your own trail and opinion.
    Most of all don't be on the continent as her when touring. Bad weather follows her every where.
    Cheers Brian
  • I feel bad now because I started this topic ages ago and only found it again when searching for New Zealand maps :oops:

A few answers

yes we have a big pot of money we will be spending as we go round but also hoping to do some charity work either with animals in asia or people in africa/india

we are setting up a website for family and friends to keep up with us

not planning to cyle all the way (still trying to persuade the wife) :lol:

can anyone reccommend a road map one that has all minor roads

thansk for the message Brian will look at crazy guy on a bike and drop you a line we are setting off September 09. How long should be give to tour both islands?

cheers

Nick
    Cheers

Nick

• Hi Nick.
    I wasn't sure if you wanted maps for NZ. But if you do the Kiwi district maps are really good fo cycling. No contours though, but all the small roads are marked and named.

How long to spend in each island. Some people will tell you to head straight for the Sth Island, but I am not one of those. Read up some of the posts on CGOAB for NZ Jo and Dave Whitney in particular and Anne and Richard Prince. Both did extensive tours here and Jo and Dave have been back a number of times. Of course there is my own little effort on there as well. Steve also has a good number of post with quite different routes.
    If you go to the Locals to NZ it brings them all up.

Good luck hope to see you.
    Cheers Brian & Sue
  • Tasman, resting up for a few days.
    Going on a one day bone carving course as a diversion from the endless cycling and fun I've been having :lol:
    As a single 38 year old male I've found that many doors open for me through my woofing and just talking to Kiwis wherever I go.
    Currently hosted by a lady I met on a campsite at Taupo North Island 2 weeks ago.
    I fixed her bike before she rode the 160km Taupo lake challenge.
    I'm off woofing on a Jersey dairy farm next week and trying to get in on a hill station in the new year.
    I've got to say that Josie Dews experiences bear little or no relation to mine so far.
    Even Aucklanders have said that its not the N.Z that they know.
    Woofing is an amazing way of integrating and getting to do and see stuff that you never normally would just taking a cycling tour of N.Z.
    It is now approaching Xmas and some of the campsites are starting to charge a minimum of 2 persons fee ($28) which is outrageously unfair on the lone traveler with a tiny tent.
    The sun is exacting a serious toll on my beauty.
    The nose has fallen off twice and I have bought now a peaked solar cap with flaps all around and taken to riding without helmet when away from towns and police.
    The fucking helmet law is an arse! It won't save me from the logging trucks or the Hoons.
    Well I'm going to clean the machine and enjoy another sunny day in Tasman bay before I head off Friday into the high hills.
    Oh, I forgot to say the place is swarming with Germans so bags of opportunity to spread you map in front of them, point to various places, put on a mock British officers accent and recite the well worn words...
    "We are here and the Germans and here, here, here and here"
  • thanks Brian

september seemed like a long way off but the though of planning has started to worry me a bit :shock:

are the kiwi district maps available online and how many do you need to cover the two islands

Nick
    Cheers

Nick

• I'm not sure if they are avaliable on line. http://www.kiwimaps.com/pages/range.html But just buy them as you go. The Pathfinder Town and Country Series are readily avaliable at Service Stations, Book Shops, Info Centres and is the one I use. The Rural ones are great but you need more of them and they don't have any more info, just a larger scale. As for the number you need. They overlap quite abit so I am not sure how many you would need, just get them in the area you are in or about to go into.

Once again there is a bed here if you would like it. We are in the heart of the Geothermal area, and live on our Dairy farm at Reporoa. half way between Rotorua and Taupo. But we will be away abit in the New Year so keep in touch.
    Cheers Brian & Sue