tips on learning french

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
I studied french for 5 years at school. I went to France for hols this year and really enjoyed trying to speak and read French. Since then, I've been doing the Michel Thomas CDs and really want to be fluent by the time I go back to France next year for me hols and the Etape.
I can't go and live there (well, not until the kids are all at uni or whatever) so do you have any tips to become fluent while still living in Timperley?
I know a couple of girls who did French degrees but I'm too embarassed to talk to them. Mr P laughs at my french accent as it's an octave or two higher than my normal speaking voice.
merci beaucoup :)

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    you could try night classes in an adult learning environment - might help.

Do you have a long commute? - you could either listen to CD's in the car or even on an MP3 player on the bike if you cycle commute - people will look at you funny right enough as you are talking to yourself but it might work.

Good luck with it - some people seem to be just good with langages. My sister in Law and her fella moved to the alps a couple of years back - to chamonix as they are winter sports nuts. He has picked it up real quick while the sister in law hasn't been quite so quick.

My sole, remembered, phrase from my 'o' level french (from some time ago) is:
    "ca suffit Thierry - cest pa mal pour les dents"

Which translates as "thats enough terry - it's bad for your teeth"
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Get a French au pair and ban her from speaking English on alternate days!

My sister had a succession of them when her kids were little and after a couple of years the children would switch between English and French without even realising it. It didn't help my sister's French much though because the au pairs tended to talk to the adults in English.
  • Just stick a 'a' sound on the end of the last word in a sentence of Franglais, shrug your shoulders a lot and gesture manically and you'll be fine. Works for me :)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    You’ll never become ‘fluent’ living in Timperley with an Englishman. The only way is to go and live in France for a good while. And to pick up a French lover when there along the way.

As preparation, what might help is
    - listen only to TdF reports on French radio (it’s reported about every 30 mins on France Inter and RTF), also rotate your TV satellite disk (if you have one) to French TV, and buy L’Equipe or France-Soir to read about what happened yesterday, rather than the Daily Telegraph
    - forget your embarrassment talking to a couple of girls who did French degrees. They may know the poems of Baudelaire, but will have no idea of how to cook frogs’ legs with a Frenchman, or how to say they’d like to stroke his legs. Brush up on French cooking and learn the French word for legs, etc.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    popette wrote:
    I studied french for 5 years at school. ...
    I'm guessing that you already have a good grasp of the grammar and are really wanting to practice your French rather than learn it. I'm also assuming that speaking and listening are more important than reading / writing. So I'd suggest:

Listening-

Apprendre.TV has numerous short video reports with exercises at different levels. It's got transcripts of the videos so you can look up new vocab.

Stream French radio over the internet. Eg. Radio France International a kind of French 'World Service'. It also has a language learning section.

France Bleu is more like local radio. I should warn you that you may encounter French regge and rap music on the station - tres bizzare.

Speaking-

Speaking practice is more difficult. Ideally you want a native French speaker to converse with - the biggest barrier to verbal communication is poor pronunciation. You could have a look at French Meetup to see if there's a group near you. They've nearly always got native speakers in the group.

French Language and Cultural centres such as The Alliance Française (the link goes to the Glasgow one 'cos it's too late to be Googling, but it'll give you an idea of what's available) do conversation and cookery classes, book club, and other things, all in French.

It's late and I can't be bothered looking through my bookmarks, but if this is the kind of thing your looking for, Popette, I'll try and find time to look out more.

Bon chance.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    excellent! - thanks for all those links Crapaud. That is just the kind of thing I'm looking for.
    I can't remember much of my school learning so the CDs I'm listening to are helping to refresh all that. It does come back quite quickly.
    The meet ups sound perfect - perhaps I could follow Knedlicky's suggestion and find myself a french lover at such a meeting and possibly get to stroke his (or her :wink: ) legs. (in case you're reading Mr P - I'm joking, I'm joking)
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    As Michel Thomas says, 60% of English words are French, so just speak English with a comedy French accent and you're almost there.

I made a big stride in France the other week - I mastered the French 'r' sound for the first time, and all of a sudden I was understood. It was a remarkable change - I used to think that some French people were just being a bit shitty with mee because of my bad accent but I think - and have been told - that they probably genuinely didn't understand what I was saying. Cool.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Poppette,
    Move to France (the alps were nice) find a cute french woman 8) :wink:
    or man as youre a lady then ride to your heart's content.

The best way to learn a language is to speak it.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • With Crapaud on Alliance Française for language courses - I have done several at Institut Français (they have a very similar approach I believe) over the years including an intensive two-week job. My native French speaking missus could not have been more impressed with the improvement.
    AF ain't cheap and the initial assessment might make you feel like all your DIY effort to date was wasted but you're a cyclist so you must know the pain to gain ratio as well as anyone.
    Otherwise, the usual advice about swapping your entire life and family probably holds good.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Crapaud
    A further suggestion for pronunciation: If you're a bit flush (as opposed to being flushed from caressing les cuisses d'un français (ou une française :shock: )) Auralog do voice recognition software. It comes with a (crap) headset, but check that your computer has sound in/out ports before buying. £25 when I bought mine.

Links for cycling vocab. and expressions:
      L'Equipe
      Forum Cyclisme on France 2
      Fédération française de cyclotourisme
      Sheldon Brown's English/French Bicycle Dictionary for bike parts.
      vermooten wrote:
      I made a big stride in France the other week - I mastered the French 'r' sound for the first time, and all of a sudden I was understood. It was a remarkable change - ...
      I still sound like Eartha Kitt with nettles stuck in her throat. :(

I've just about mastered the nasal 'n' - I just wish that my head didn't vibrate disturbingly when I do it.
      A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
    • damien55
      damien55 Posts: 63
      Bonjour,

I'm glad to see that some English people are actually willing to learn French. It's such a lovely language.

You can buy some french DVDs. Just make sure you have french subtitles though.
      We have a lot of very good movies in France (Yes I'm a frenchman in UK 8) )
      The first time you can watch it with the subtitles in french to get all the words.

If you have any spare bedroom you can try to accomodate a french student and force him to speak french with you. Or you can speak with me on this forum about bike stuff :lol:

Otherwise a French lover might just be what you need :oops: .

Damien

PS:
      I would say:
      "ca suffit Thierry - c'est mauvais pour les dents"
      Because "ca suffit Thierry - cest pa mal pour les dents" is wrong
    • jam1e
      jam1e Posts: 1,068
      edited July 2008
      Hey,

I did an intensive French course last year (9 months including a month in France, class of 3, 8.30 -15.30 everyday) one of things I found really useful is http://www.rfi.fr/radiofr/pages/001/accueil.asp and go to the francais facile news section.

Its a bit slower than normal French radio news but the vocab etc is the same, after a while you can notice the difference in your comprehension when you listen to the normal broadcast.

From my experience if you can understand what is being said to you, you can make a little vocab/grammer etc go a long way when you reply.

Try some French audiobooks etc as well if you can - its easier than launching into French tv. (Although French "Wheel of Fortune does have Victoria Silvsted in it :D )

Just realised you're unlikely to be interested in Ms Silvsted - Sorry :wink:

Hope this helps...
    • gkerr4
      damien55 wrote:
      Bonjour,

I'm glad to see that some English people are actually willing to learn French. It's such a lovely language.

You can buy some french DVDs. Just make sure you have french subtitles though.
      We have a lot of very good movies in France (Yes I'm a frenchman in UK 8) )
      The first time you can watch it with the subtitles in french to get all the words.

If you have any spare bedroom you can try to accomodate a french student and force him to speak french with you. Or you can speak with me on this forum about bike stuff :lol:

Otherwise a French lover might just be what you need :oops: .

Damien

PS:
      I would say:
      "ca suffit Thierry - c'est mauvais pour les dents"
      Because "ca suffit Thierry - cest pa mal pour les dents" is wrong

well - thats interesting - the sole phrase from my french 'o' level 1989 - I got it wrong.

I'll bear that in mind next time I have to reprimand terry for putting too much sugar in his tea
    • damien55 wrote:
      Bonjour,

As long as we remember that French is the language of Descartes and therefore the antithesis of "the language of lurv" that too many Brits still regard it as - you know I'm right Damien :)
      "Consider the grebe..."
    • normanp
      normanp Posts: 279
      I found reading (eg good story with straightforward French: La Bicyclette Bleu by Regine Deforges series) with a good monolingual dictionary (eg Robert Micro Poche) really helped my vocab and ability to understand rapidly spoken French, reducing the need to translate. Order from amazon.fr - cheap even with postage. Try to do something every day for a min 30min to 1hr without fail and always include some reading on top. My accent is 'correct' but rather English - but I can keep up in conversation and I never get complaints about it! - so I say don't worry too much about accent as long as it is good enough to get through. You have to just ignore possible embarrassment and go for it - don't let any English companions speak English when you are conversing in French - it is confusing and kicks off doing translation rather than just blurting it out straight off in French. BTW I was useless in Fr at school - they nearly persuaded me that I had no 'talent' so couldn't do it!
      1892 Posts: 1,690
      watch allo, allo
      Justice for the 96
    • grayo59
      grayo59 Posts: 722
      1892 wrote:
      watch allo, allo

Thank goodness for 1892! It was getting frightfully middle class in here ...

Oh, edited to add: "I can't speak French,,, so I'll let the funky music do the talking,"
      grayo59 wrote:
      1892 wrote:
      watch allo, allo

Thank goodness for 1892! It was getting frightfully middle class in here ...

Oh, edited to add: "I can't speak French,,, so I'll let the funky music do the talking,"
      Oi! Take that back or I'll come round and slap vos cuisses!

peasants.png

:roll: Bloody peasants!

:wink:
    • Johnpwr
      Johnpwr Posts: 47
      My suggestions to listen to some spoken French, which sounds like what you want :-

Podcasts : there are a multitude of different languages available in the iTunes Store and the first page displays 5 options which are usually free.

Long wave radio : It tends to break up a bit, but if conditions are in your favour, you might find some programmes of use.

Youtube : look for some Tour de France interviews and news articles, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOCqhaUDWZw is an example.

Best of luck
    • CHRISNOIR
      CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
      popette wrote:
      ... I've been doing the Michel Thomas CDs...

I've just bought these after spending last week in France when I discovered my French wasn't half as good as I thought. Are they good?

I've always got a good idea of what I want to say but somewhere between my brain and my mouth it goes a bit wrong...
    • gkerr4
      Get a good teacher - chopper read should do you well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWoS4nKOSwc

(not safe for work - or kids - or if you don't like swearing!)
    • Crapaud
      Je vien de trouver ce site France To Go. It's got a comprehensive list of French radio stations on the internet. There's a link to Radio Grenouille, or Frog Radio (which made me chuckle).
    • brookter
      brookter Posts: 51
      This is a really useful forum for vocabulary and usage - from the WordReference site. http://forum.wordreference.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

It's high volume so you'll have to use the search facility to get the most out of it, but I find the members very helpful - and there's plenty of opportunity to help with French speakers who want to learn English (and stopping them learning American....)

It's cross referenced to the dictionary part of the site. Very useful page to have open while you're surfing la toile...

Salut...

David
    • penugent
      penugent Posts: 913
      As an alternative CD the Pimsleur Language Programs are good - you may find them at your local library, I did at mine.
    • boybiker
      boybiker Posts: 531
      Wave your arms, shout and call them a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys, far too much pretentious crap talked about French cooking and culture, both of which are highly overrated if you ask me.
      The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
      FCN :- -1
      Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
    • jswba
      jswba Posts: 491
      boybiker wrote:
      far too much pretentious crap talked about French cooking and culture, both of which are highly overrated if you ask me.

I'm sure there's a cycle race over the Channel that's rather central to French culture..... :wink: