Exercise, calories and "starvation mode"

2»

Comments

• fatbee
    fatbee Posts: 581
    "im a bird anyway"

Oops sorry! How casually sexist and puerile of me.

Weight management is still down to hormones though, but many more and sometimes different ones from those usually to the fore when womens issues are being discussed. Men (from ordinary blerks like me, to male doctors) do have a tendancy to treat the subject in a rather dismissive and patronising way, and I really don't want to be guilty of that. So apologies again.

The main hormones I'm refering to are Insulin and Glucagon, which crudely speaking help you gain and lose respectively, body fat. My advice - not that anyone's asked for it I know - is to research into insulin and carbohydrate metabolism, and then eat and train in the light of that knowledge.

"deeply ashamed,i felt obscene" - No, no, no! Please don't put yourself down. You ride 100 mile bike races for goodness sake! Pat yourself on the back and feel proud. How many people in the UK can do that (or the athletic equivalent in another sport) ?? Not that many.

"so i guess now its reducing carbs?" - Yes, I really would suggest looking into it. Not just following one diet, but reading up on the whole thing so's you understand it and can make your own nutritional decisions. I know this flies in the face of conventional sporting wisdom, most of the eating advice on this 'board, and yes you will, sooner or later come across references to the dreaded Dr. Atkins. But as I say, do the reading and make your own mind up.

Lots of carbs, and calories in v. out works for many, but if it doesn't for you then I'd honestly say that there is increasing evidence that athletic training and competition can be made compatible with a carb-conscious diet (try here : http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2 for just one example,) and allow the rider to achieve the right bodyweight.

And just look at it this way, if you can compete in 100-mile TTs, then you are special. You have motivation and discipline, and the main reason you don't seem successfully to have applied those talents to your body composition, IMH(if contraversial)O, is that you've been following bad advice.

So keep riding but do some reading too!

Very best wishes

fb
  • wheelermuk
    wheelermuk Posts: 15
    ate a foolish 30 calories more tha usual ad gained a kg,

is this actually possible?? espeacially when competing in a 100mile tt, how does the equilvalent of 3/8 of a banana's worth of calories equate to a kg of mass being added?

[/list]
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    alzeb wrote:
    lots of useful websites here! at long last,i cant seem to shift the weight and am angst to cut out more food as i dont want to get the knock!ive elimated any trace of fat,yesterday i reverted to bread,fruit and veg all day,cut out a further 300 calories and still olny lost 200 grammes within the 24 hrs-im now wondering if other sports are better for weigt loss,like running,swimmig or rowing,ive a foot injury but im prepared to run through it if needs must

Cut out the rubbish bread! Spongey UK bread is quite high in added fat due to its industrial manufacturing process and need for longish shelf life in supermarkets.
  • alzeb
    alzeb Posts: 35
    edited June 2008
    blank
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Alzeb, get help, why do you post here, to justify your eating disorder? You are harming your body and your low calorie diet isn't sustainable. Enjoy cycling while it lasts because you are currently damaging your body to the extent that you won't be able to continue it in the future.