This months Mag

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
has a feature about time trialing, and has a section from Joe Beer about training. Suggests a series of workouts at 75-82% MHR, based around road riding (so includes sprints up hills etc). The effort level seemed a bit low to me...? 2x20 at 75%+ isnt THAT hard...its when you try and do it at 82% it hurts.....

Comments

• has a feature about time trialing, and has a section from Joe Beer about training. Suggests a series of workouts at 75-82% MHR, based around road riding (so includes sprints up hills etc). The effort level seemed a bit low to me...? 2x20 at 75%+ isnt THAT hard...its when you try and do it at 82% it hurts.....
    Sound like Beer intervals to me :lol:
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    2x20 ...........when you try and do it at 82% it hurts.....
    :shock: You must have a very low pain threshold. I know HR isn't the best for judging effort but most people could sustain 82%maxHR or thereabouts for 20mins without feeling they were going through the pain barrier. You're in the middle of Peter Keen's level 2 - tempo kind of pace, that's all.

Ruth
  • i agree. I can probably ride for more than several hours at ~ 80% HRmax.

Ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    2x20 ...........when you try and do it at 82% it hurts.....
    :shock: You must have a very low pain threshold. I know HR isn't the best for judging effort but most people could sustain 82%maxHR or thereabouts for 20mins without feeling they were going through the pain barrier. You're in the middle of Peter Keen's level 2 - tempo kind of pace, that's all.

Ruth

YThinking about it, you are right to a degree - my 10TT pace is about 88%-90% as measured using my numbers, and thats about 8/9 RPE. I rode up the 2 long climbs in the Dragon today at around 86%-88% and that wasn't what I would describe as remotely close to tempo.