london to brighton

thembi
thembi Posts: 4
hey,can anyone give me some advice,I've been roped into doing the london to brighton thing this yr and while I'm feeling fairly confident of finishing easy enough- I've been reading about the huge congestion problems that I seriously want to avoid (I've got a 8-30 start time),someone suggested trying to sneak through early or going down a side road at the beginning.
Any ideas -has anyone tried this this ?

cheers

Comments

• mlinsell
    mlinsell Posts: 8
    I'm also doing the L2B ride this year. Like you I am not too worried about covering the distance, my concern is 30,000 + riders in the wet could make for some interesting riding! What type of tyres are you opting for?
  • thembi
    thembi Posts: 4
    alright,I'm using slicks(continentals i think) for this one,my mate is going to do it unofficially so I'm prob gonna be setting off at 6-30/7-00 ,hoping to miss most of the people by setting off then,also not too worried about distance more about crashing.
    what tyres you using ?
    good luck with it anyway
  • mlinsell
    mlinsell Posts: 8
    The weather forecast is for light rain so I might chance it on slicks, only trouble is they are brand new so I'll need to get some miles on them in the next couple of days to take the shine off them!
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    are you guys doing the moutain biking one or the road?

When I do the London to Southend one I use Specalized Armourdillos
    fab all round tyre and puncture resistant.
    Good Luck to you both.