Energy Drinks - Urgh!

Mikey joe
Mikey joe Posts: 66
Hello

Can anyone recommend some of the elctrolyte drinks that taste halfway palatable?
I've tried the Hi-Energy orange one which wasn't great and last night tried the SIS lemon and lime. This one was so sickly sweet I gagged every time I even thought about it.

Are there any out there that taste less sweet than these.

Does anyone have any recipes they can reccommend?

Comments

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Torq Energy Pink Grapefruit
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Anything made by Torq (http://www.torq.ltd.uk/index.html)
  • Ditto Torq (orange). Carb/electrtolyte combined. Much sharper flavour. Nowhere as near as sweet as SIS stuff.
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    High 5 drinks seem ok to me, and I can't stand the very sweet type either. Mind you I now prefer the 4:1. Before that I favoured the neutral i.e. unflavoured carbo drinks.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    Another vote for Torq, and the Torq strawberry yoghurt energy gel is actually yummy (honest !)
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    I use Tekno Fuel powder which comes without flavouring. Just put a dash of Tesco's diluting apple juice in it - or whatever you fancy - and away you go.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Definitely a case of try a few until you find one that suits. I quite like the sweeter drinks (SIS Go watermelon or lemon/lime) but they do get a bit sickly after a while.

I tried Torq pink grapefuit at a show and initially loved it, so I bought a tub. However, after a couple of litres on a long ride I felt like I was being pickled, its just too sharp for me.

I've settled on SIS Go blackcurrant, which is not as sweet as the other SIS ones. Its the only one I can take in any quantity on a long ride. I'm a sweaty git, so need the electrolytes :wink:

If you can find it here, I used Gatorade powder on a trip to Canada recently and that was quite nice. About half-way between SIS and Torq in sweetness, if a bit 'artificial' tasting.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Isostar orange is pretty good.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Powerbar energy drink is very mild tasting and seems to work for me. I've used most of the others at one time or another, but I tend to find that they don't get drunk, because they tend to get a bit sickly over a long ride. I haven't tried Torque so I might give it a try.
  • Mikey joe
    Mikey joe Posts: 66
    Anyone tried making up their own carb drink?

I found a recipe here. Aside from the facct it's cheaper. I really like the fact I can add my own flavour to it. Which means I can get it down!

Interested to here other recipes.

Mj
  • psp22 orange is not bad :)
  • Torq was too sweet for me and gave me bad wind. I use good ole lucozade now mainly because its cheap and its in Tescos round the corner 24/7, and comes in sachets. both flavours are ok over a few hours riding, i just make a more diluted solution for gulping and for when the sugary taste gets too much.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I like Torq Energy Pink Grapefruit too. Also, just started using nuun and like it. nuun is very convenient to take out with you if you're going to have to refill.
  • Anderl
    Anderl Posts: 70
    Joe, I use the following recipe:
    1.5 kg
    1200g Maltodextrin
    300g Fructose
    22g Salt
    10g Low Salt ( 66% Potassium Chloride )
    4 tbl of Holland&Barrett Calcium and Magnesium

Adding Fructose to your mixture improves performance Torq claim and this is actually backed up by a scientific study. I think they use 2:1 Maltodextrin to Fructose ratio but my stomach can't handle that hence I use 4:1. I also have to make sure I don't make it to concentrated and use about 60g per 750ml bottle plus a splash of orange juice or whatever else I fancy for flavour. I order my stuff in bulk from myprotein which comes to about £5 per 1.5kg if I remember correctly.
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    I use High5 because it's not too sweet, but also because it's one of the few energy drinks that does not use artificial sweeteners, in particular aspartame.
    SunWuKong wrote:
    IAlso, just started using nuun and like it. nuun is very convenient to take out with you if you're going to have to refill.

I've been using that for a while the Kona Cola flavour is really nice, not to strong a flavour, also its not sickly sweet.

I also like the Torq Pink Grapefruit, and also the Orange Flavour SIS is OK to.