First Race

sp101
sp101 Posts: 11
At the age of 36 I entered my first ever race..at Darley Moor. I thouroughly enjoyed it...or at least the first 5 or 6 laps whilst I could hang on to the bunch... I have a couple of questions..

1. Once dropped, should I have quit...? I was determined to finish so carried on at but got lapped 3 or 4 times by the leaders...Also is it OK to try and get back on to the bunch as they lap you...?
2. Although my legs felt OK, my lower back was painful after about 10 laps....any ideas what could be causing this...I also suffer on time trials (same bike)

Any other advice would be gratfully received as I am determined to try again...

Thanks

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Fine to carry on - in fact it's the best thing. It's a no no to rejoin a break if they lap you but whether it's OK to rejoin the main bunch depends on the race. Normally it's OK but personally I think it's wrong (not saying individuals are wrong to do it if it's allowed I just don't think it should be allowed) and I know at some Darleys they were stopping it happening this year. I find circuit races harder if all you want to do is sit in and finish - more sprinting out of corners than in a race on the road.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cannonfodder
    cannonfodder Posts: 183
    On question 2, this is most likely caused by the extra pressure on the lower back in a race situation. This is very common and can be combatted with exercises to increase strength and flexibility.

Exactly this issue was addressed in last month's C+ (first of the new look, it might be still on the shelves)
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    sp101 wrote:
    1. Once dropped, should I have quit...?
    Nope unless you were in absolute pain or something. You paid your money, keep riding unless told otherwise by race organisers. Also for safety reasons try not to meander around in the middle of the circuit
    sp101 wrote:
    I was determined to finish so carried on at but got lapped 3 or 4 times by the leaders...Also is it OK to try and get back on to the bunch as they lap you...?
    If its a breakaway group definitley not. If its the bunch of 40+ riders its probably fine as long as you don't contend the finishing places
    sp101 wrote:
    2. Although my legs felt OK, my lower back was painful after about 10 laps....any ideas what could be causing this...I also suffer on time trials (same bike)

It maybe worth getting your position checked out by a proffessional bike fitter.
    Well done by the way. And be careful, racing can get addictive :wink:
  • sp101
    sp101 Posts: 11
    Thanks for your replies...I'm hoping to give Mallory Park a go next...any tips...?
  • cyclingjosh
    cyclingjosh Posts: 13
    the best bit of advice that i can having done a fair amount of racing and thus learning from my mistakes is:
    Stay near the front of the bunch, the biggest mistake is to be right near the back, then as soon as there is an attack or the bunch goes round a corner you have to work double as hard to keep up, which really does knacker you out.
    Unless your feeling strong don't do too much work, stay in the slipstream and save yourself for the finish, try to stay top 15 all the time. At the end of the day its all a learning experiance, it took me about 20 races to finally realize not to chase every attack and to position myself well in the bunch and not stay at the back, and i am seeing some decent results having just moved up to 3rd cat. Give it a few races and you will be flying! J
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    In a race I think it is bad form to jump on the wheel of anyone that is lapping you - whether it is a break or the main bunch.

However there are training races where this is allowed and even encouraged so slower riders get more bunch experience. In this case it is polite to stay out of the way of those that are still in contention by hanging around at the back of the bunch so if you get droppped again you are not causing gaps for other people to close or getting mixed up in the finish.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Here in the states jumping back on after being lapped is generally ok during club level races. Even on shorter Crit courses. However, if it's a U.S. Cycling Federation race
    on a short course(many laps) you will be pulled by the officals before you are lapped.
    It's done because it's too hard to keep track of who's who on what lap. So, about to be
    lapped, you'll get pulled. Stay in touch with the pack is the key.

Dennis Noward