Yet another brake pad opinion required please.

freddymercurystwin
freddymercurystwin Posts: 36
edited May 2008 in Workshop
As a newbie back in the saddle after 20 odd years I think I'd like to upgrade my standard 105 brakes, I've read good reviews of Swissstops and Kool Stops and I used to use Aztecs when I gave up cycling and thought they were the beesknees back then. Which of the three would give the best braking? There's only about £12 difference between the prices so money's not really an issue. If I went for the Kool Stops should I go for black or salmon? I presume the salmon would brake better but the black would last longer?

Swissstop
Kool Stop
Aztec

Thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    No responses at all?

Shame, as I thought it a good question!

I too used to use Aztecs 15-20 years ago. The concensus now seems to be to recommend koolstop salmon. Since these are advertised for wet weather riding then I assume they are more grippy (softer compound) and will wear faster than the black ones.

Swiss stop are supposed to be good too, but very expensive.

If you aren't too worried about cost then koolstop salmon would appear to be a good bet. Not expensive but you might need to replace them regularly.

I see Fibrax also make a salmon coloured pad, advertised for extreme conditions or something. I would be interested to hear if anyone has used them too?

Having said that, I haven't used koolstop salmon (I am happy with my existing shimano pads), so I am just guessing here. Hopefully someone else will answre your question now I have bumped it along.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,402
    tbh m y Dura Ace ones are superb!! although i got them with the fittings as well as i didnt have them in the first place - i can one finger brake unless its horrifically wet....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I have been on Koolstop Salmon all winter. They have performed well, Better than the old 9sp Shimano ones and have plenty of block left after 2 to 3000 miles. Fully recomended. The 10sp Shimano Ultegra seem better than the 9sp were and may be as good as the Koolstops. Time will tell.
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Not tried the others, but the Koolstops Salmon are great all year round and never seem to wear out. Much better than standard Shimano pads.
  • vanleapo
    vanleapo Posts: 150
    Koolstop salmons get my vote. I've had a pair on my winter bike for the last couple of years and there's still plenty of life left.
    I have recently replaced the Dura Ace pads on my summer bike with them aswell.

In the wet they are much better than standard Shimano or Campag pads.
    Also, I'm sure they do far less damage to your wheels as they don't seem to collect pieces metal.
    Tearfund Tour of Scotland 26th May to 1st June 2013
    http://www.justgiving.com/phil-godley
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    It would seem that even brake pad brands have there proponents, who swear by
    them and all others are garbage, and detractors, who hate all but what they
    personally use. I have tried more than my share of these items and as far as I'm
    concerned have never had any problems with the major brands top of the line stuff.
    I tend to buy the best because "cheap" brake items don't, at least to me, inspire much
    in the way of confidence. I want to stop when I want to or have to.

Dennis Noward
  • richardjallen
    richardjallen Posts: 691
    I used koolstops on my commuting bike. They are not bad but I was expecting more due to the opinions I had heard. I'm now using swissstop. Actually they are not much more expenisve than koolstops and I am very happy with them. I think as good as koolstops but there is not as much hype so I am not disappointed.

I have also seen these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... bon%20Rims

I read the blurb on them and they sound interesting. When the swissstop's wear away (long time) I am going to try these.