Upgrade or not?

xhacker
xhacker Posts: 69
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
I have a Giant Terrago 2007 Disc.

I think the bikes quite good for the wad. However the forks are pretty average to say the least and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Rockshox Tora 302 100 from Merlin Cycles.

Firstly are these things easily fitted?

Secondly: Am I wasting my time/money bothering to upgrade?

I'm not that serious of a rider but would like to improve the ride :wink:

Any meaningful advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I upgraded a 2007 giant yukon with toras about 6 months ago, very pleased that I did.

As to weather its worth it, how much longer will you have the bike? if its gonna be long-term then improve it and improve your riding.

I had mine fitted by my local bike shop but now I'm more experienced with the tools I would have no problem doing it myself, looks simple with the right tools.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • xhacker
    xhacker Posts: 69
    I think I'll keep the bike for some time yet.

I know of people who change all the time. I've never understood that way of thinking.

Obviously the hype in the press whips them up into a frenzy. It's not something that appeals to me.

The other thing is: the prices for parts and for bikes I find to be disgusting and downright ridiculous......Full carbon road bike in LBS last week £8000. 1000cc sports motorbike (RSV) bought last year £7600. How the hell can you compare what you get for that kind of money?

Ludicrous!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I took my forks off for the first time recently to regrease the headset.Very easy and took me about 5mins to refit.
    Steerer might need cut down,for which you need a good hacksaw.Ideally use a cutting guide,but you could probably just get by with a jubilee clip eitherside of where the cut will be.Alternatively add some spacers.
    Star nut fitting can be a bit fiddly,but there is a cheap tool that Ice toolz do for about £10 that makes that job easier.
    Remember you can make a bit of money back on the old forks via ebay too.I managed to get £50 for my old Manitous when I changed forks.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Toras can be had for 80 or 90 quid. I think that is a good investment.
  • noidea
    noidea Posts: 623
    I have an 2006 Terrago, I was planning to keep it for about a year or so then sell it and buy something better. In the end I decided to just slowely change all the parts and that didn't like.. mainly the shocking forks lol

stock
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1858097/

now
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1957280/

I think I will continue upgrading everything apart from the brakes as they are pretty awesome :D

oh yea, with your Terrago do you find that you keep needing to true the wheels? my spokes seem to get loose and I have taken my wheels to my LBS a few times to straighten them out. The rear wheel got bend in half (car trailer squashed it) and was replaced by a cheap wheel from a bike shop on holiday and has proved to be more reliable than the front and has never been adjusted. New wheelset methinks :D
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by king andrew the 1st</i>

im currently sitting in front of my pc spinning away on my brothers signature edition
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">