edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
First commute today.

Only one and a half miles each way. But I'm sure it counts. :D:D:D

Andy

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...it counts! :D Keep it up...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Oh yes it counts, hope you enjoy it.

were you driving the 1.5 miles before this?
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    This is the distance I cycle every day, that and going home for lunch means the mileage soon goes up!
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    You'll soon be wishing it was longer......

My commute is 2.5 miles each way, which is a nice distance in the winter, but i wish it was further in the summer. Problem being i'm bounded by the M1, the A1 (M) and a railway line making extending it really difficult :x

I'm sure you'll eventually be taking the long way home tho.............
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    It all counts!

Keep it up.

:D
    FCN 10
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,595
    Good man :D

I only cycle 2 miles each way, so only marginally more than you, but the peeps who cycle 10 miles or more each way really impress me!

Hell of a time to start commuting - I started back in July, and have only driven in 4 times since then - twice in one week when I had a cold, once when I discovered a flat tyre on the bike, but only as I was about to leave for work, and once when I overslept :oops:

I really look forward to the ride in, and more so homebound, especially now I have proper kit, ie jacket/trousers/overshoes, and most recently (Today in fact) some proper bright as daylight lights, which make riding home a pleasure, and much faster 8)

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Of course you are a cycle commuter!
  • The distance doesn't really matter, what matters is that you've actually taken the biggest step and started using your bike! Once you become fitter and more confident you can start extending that route!

I work at a few different sites and the distances I travel varies from about 2.3 miles to 12.7. Whilst I don't enjoy the 2.3 mile commute as it's fairy short I ride it differently and try and get a fast time! whearas the 12 mile one that I'm doing this week for 2 days (last time today) gives me a chance to have a nice long ride through London to Kings Cross!

Anyhow glad to here you've started and welcome to the "club"
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Thanks for the encouragement guys.

...er..It's a bit of a long story.

I started cycling in August on a Decathlon triban trail 3. Big and comfy for an Old Fat B@stard like me. Built up to 70 miles a week. then had bike problems. Freewheel stopped freewheeling. Took it back. freewheel fixed, now chain jumping. Then.... anyway, after 4 trips in a week, decided time for bike to be exchanged under warranty.
    They agreed, recommended upgrade and pay difference, Triban Trail 5, now only 50 euros more than 3 cost me, swapped and paid difference. Commute yesterday, then went on 10 miler. Bike didn't feel right. Made some phone calls and sent some emails for confirmation. Bike they'd given me was large not extra large. (Hadn't had time to check in store, just loaded it in car and went.)

Went back in today. Went through the ;
    "It's not XL."
    " It IS XL,"
    "An XL is 21" from here to here, This is 19"
    . ... "This is a large, It's smaller than yours,"
    "...er (gets tape measure out).. This is 19",That is 19", This is 52cm, That is 52 cm, These are both large. I need xl."

"Oh sorry, you are right, it must have been wrongly labeled in the warehouse."

Anyway, upshot is they don't have xl in stock, will get it delivered free on thursday.

Total commute mileage still 3.:evil: but looking forward to doing MUCH more soon. :D

BTW, Re time of year, I live in Mallorca. Actually quite cold at moment, but not viciously so. Also when I was working in the summer I worked 12 miles away. Thats a hell of a way for a guy in my condition in that heat to commute. Maybe next year. Finished summer job in October, then after few weeks off, (Not much work on Mallorca in winter,) started new job this week.

My goodness that's a long post over nothing.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Andy
  • magibob
    Hi.

Got the bike back yetserday. Commuted today.

I'm Back!!!. Only did the commute due to wind and rain, but still felt great. Took everyone else 20 minutes to warm up at work, I was warm from the get-go.

Total commute distance now 6 miles, and now a week off over xmas, but doing some funj rides in between.

Regards

Feliz Navidad.

Andy
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Decathlon are pretty good on the warranty side. It's 2 years on their stuff.
  • skinny man0903
    skinny man0903 Posts: 37
    edited December 2007
    My commute is about 3.15 miles each way I am doing a split shift today, I am going to use a different route this time so might make it about 4 miles each way.
    the weather pretty bad this morning thick fog I could only see about 50 to 100 yards in front of me if i was lucky.On way home fog had lifted but not completely.
    I will let you know later when I get home how I got on.

Iain
  • My commute is about 3.15 miles each way I am doing a split shift today, I am going to use a different route this time so might make it about 4 miles each way.
    the weather pretty bad this morning thick fog I could only see about 50 to 100 yards in front of me if i was lucky.On way home fog had lifted but not completely.
    I will let you know later when I get home how I got on.

Iain
    On way back to work lthe fog had lifted it was cold but I could handle that, When I finished work it was still clear but again it was cold.
    My total commute was 15.18.

Where I used to live my commute was about 8 to 10 miles depending which route I took. then I move closer to work which was just over a mile so I increased this by going different routes, as I love cycling.
    Thinking of getting a cargo trailer so I can go shopping and not use the car unless I really have to

Iain
  • whome
    whome Posts: 167
    Thinking of getting a cargo trailer so I can go shopping and not use the car unless I really have to

Take a look at the "longtail" option too (xtracycle conversion, or prebuilt like Yuba) as the theoretical advantage (I don't have either) is that you don't need to remember the trailer, the cargo capacity is always there.
    Training, highway design and increasing cycle numbers are important to safety. Helmets are just a red herring.
  • You can try the yuba and kona ute (perhaps soon the xtracycle) at www.thelongbikecentre.com. All very different options, but once you have ridden one you will wonder why not more bikes have the extra capacity.
  • magibob
    Further update:

Now working two and a half miles from home, and doing regular 10 mile rides to increase the fitness level. Checking the bike computer I've done 472 miles so far this year. Not as many as I would have liked, but it's still 475 miles of exercise. 2 weeks ago I set myself the target of doing 50 miles a week. Did it last week, and only got 7.5 miles to do by Sunday night to do it this week.

Lovin'it.

Cheers

Andy
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,595
    Well done Bob/Andy!

I've been commuting since last July last year, and still love it to bits, similar distance to you as well, if we can call it a commute :?

I have noticed, this week in particular, the number of bike commuters has increased hugely, I expect it has something to do with the lighter evenings maybe?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    Daniel B wrote:
    Good man :D

I only cycle 2 miles each way, so only marginally more than you, but the peeps who cycle 10 miles or more each way really impress me!

Damn, 9.79 miles mine!

Yes, it counts and good luck, you'll love it!