Recovery between long rides

RichardFcp
RichardFcp Posts: 155
In the middle of June I am riding the Vatternrundan and then a couple of weeks later a three day London to Paris. Can anyone advise what it would be best to do between the two rides in terms of rest and training so that I survive both events?

Cheers :)

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Vatternrundan is fun but Loooooooong if you're not ready for the 300km distance. At a pinch you could do nothing between the two - personally I'd not set any great goals for the 2 week period and take it day by day. My brother had no feeling in his feet & hands after one very wet vattern - for weeks afterwards!
    perhaps plan to do some 2-3 short brisk rides after a good few days rest. Biggest problem might be be catching a cold inthe run down period afterwards - eat extra healthily and get plenty of sleep.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    2 weeks should be enough time to fully recover from the first ride (providing you don't pick up a bug at ut_och_cykla says) - do some very easy recovery rides after your first event until your legs feel less heavy - just an hour or so using low gears and spinning so you hardly feel the pedals.
  • RichardFcp
    Cheers chaps. I'm working on the basis that if I am fit enough to ride the Vaternrundan I should be ok for L2P, provided I don't pick up any bugs afterwards. I don't see the former as being a balls out ride as I am riding with 10 other people, some of whom won't have been able to put the training in due to the Swedish winter/spring weather, so regular stops are likely, plus I guess that 17000 people on the ride won't allow too much freedom to go for it especially in the early stages.
    What's your start time Richard? I'm riding the Vatternrundan with a Swedish friend (and some of his club I think). We're down for 04:58, but he's thinking of trying for an earlier time.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    I guess that 17000 people on the ride won't allow too much freedom to go for it especially in the early stages

Don't you know that the start is staggered, from some time before 22:00 on the Friday to some time after 05:00 on Saturday? 60 riders every 2 minutes. All very organised - Swedish style. The idea - I'm hoping - is to find a good group to hide in, or jump from group to group, to maximise the shelter and minimise the effort ... :D
  • RichardFcp
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    What's your start time Richard? I'm riding the Vatternrundan with a Swedish friend (and some of his club I think). We're down for 04:58, but he's thinking of trying for an earlier time.

Looks like we are down for an early start, 23.56, but I think we were relativly early bookers.

I do know it is a staggered start, but I guess I am relying on the memory of the chaotic uk mass participation rides I have done!
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    I guess that 17000 people on the ride won't allow too much freedom to go for it especially in the early stages

Don't you know that the start is staggered, from some time before 22:00 on the Friday to some time after 05:00 on Saturday? 60 riders every 2 minutes. All very organised - Swedish style. The idea - I'm hoping - is to find a good group to hide in, or jump from group to group, to maximise the shelter and minimise the effort ... :D

Hi, George, are you the George Shaw who managed Raleigh Weineman Uk team in 1984? Malc Elliot's team then at Kellogs crits?
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    I do know it is a staggered start, but I guess I am relying on the memory of the chaotic uk mass participation rides I have done!

I would expect very little chaos from the Swedes. My mate tells me it's very comprehensively organised. He's done it 7 or 8 times ... :shock:
    Hi, George, are you the George Shaw who managed Raleigh Weineman Uk team in 1984? Malc Elliot's team then at Kellogs crits?

'Fraid not. Just a newbie old codger whose brain won't believe that his legs don't go round fast enough any more. :evil:
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Dave_1 wrote:
    GeorgeShaw wrote:

I very much doubt it, I saw that George Shaw recently and he was that wide I doubt whether he could ride five miles.
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    edited April 2008
    Good luck with the Vatternrundan, chaps. It's a great event, and well organised. I did it in 2006 (start time 20:20, perfect weather conditions, finished in 9hrs 33mins) and will definitely be back to do another.

Just try and keep your eyes off the laydeez - hubba hubba hubba!

Edit: Forgot to say: I did the Dragon Ride about a week later, and ran out of gas in the last third. I'd take it easy between events if I were you. 300km knocks the shit out of you.
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    I'm not sure. When i have two hard training sessions on consecutive days, i try to get a load of carbs into my body within 30mins of the exercise, and i keep snacking every hour after that. I also have a spoon of raw honey after the workout, and before i go to bed.

I can tell the difference between when i've followed this and when i've not, and especially if i've not had the carbs within 30mins.
  • hey fellas,

Myself and 3 others are heading out for the Vatternrundan as well. Just wondring if anyone thats done it before has any tips?!

Trainign is going well, but weather and work are hampering it a little, but hope to make up for it in the next 2 months....

Would really appreciate your top tips to make life easier running up to the event or during it.

Cheers,

TBK.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    HAven't done it myself but hubby has 6 times & brother 5. Be prepared for cold especially at night and atrocious weather - 12 hoours of torrential rain was not amusing according to my loved ones!! Lots of diffreent abilities make for 'exciting moments' as you get pinched between Danish cycling clubs at 35km/h plus and the less fast falling asleep on thier bikes. Car drivers are also just as beligerent as in UK if not more so
    but hey ... its a great achievement!!