Which Cassette Spec?

amc
amc Posts: 315
edited April 2008 in Workshop
Having just sold my car i've treated myself to a new pair of wheels (Campag Neutron Ultras) for my fairly average bike, which has a Campag mirage triple on it.
I'll be using a pair of hand-builds for the grimey daily London commutte and the Neutrons for sportives/warm weather riding.
So does it matter which type of cassette i decide to put on my new wheels. Should i just stick to mirage or it it worth the extra dosh for moving up the Campag range to something better/lighter harder wearing etc etc.
Thanks
amc

Comments

• peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    I've noticed that the cheaper cassette sprockets lose their finish really quickly. I have 2x 10 speed mirage and even though they have only done about 1000 miles they look ancient already. All the silver finish has worn off and they look dull grey.
    They really are nasty cheap rubbish imo
    If you like the bike componants to look good it might be worth getting a better quality . My mate smothers his chain and cassette in oil so it attracts loads of dirt, grit and grime from the road so for him its immaterial lol[/b]
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    I've noticed that the cheaper cassette sprockets lose their finish really quickly. I have 2x 10 speed mirage and even though they have only done about 1000 miles they look ancient already. All the silver finish has worn off and they look dull grey.
    They really are nasty cheap rubbish imo
    If you like the bike componants to look good it might be worth getting a better quality . My mate smothers his chain and cassette in oil so it attracts loads of dirt, grit and grime from the road so for him its immaterial lol :roll:

I cleaned up a nice 9 speed campag cassette the other week and it had a hardened chrome finish and the cassette would look fantastic on the bike...now where is that silver chain
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Miche cassettes are quite cheap and generally better finished than their Campagnolo equivalents. The main difference between lower models and their more expensive models is the use of lighter aluminium sprocket carriers in clusters to save weight and make an imperceptable difference to stiffness - for top models, steel is substituted by titanium, which is lighter and wears quicker. Cassettes are consumable, so expect to replace them every year or so anyway.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    As far as I know, Campag cassettes from Veloce upwards use the same better finished and more durable sprockets. Mirage and below are of a poorer quality and are less durable.
    I would go for Veloce or Centaur. I've never used Miche cassettes but I'm sure I have been told in the past that they don't change as smoothly.
  • amc
    amc Posts: 315
    Thaks everone - i think i'll go for a Veloce cassette...seem to be pretty cheap at Ribble at the mo (40% off). In fact so much so i may buy a couple to replace the cassette on my commuter wheel and wheel used for turbo.
    Probably a numpty question this, but how can I tell if my cassette needs replacing? My chain that goes on the various wheels needs replacing but does that means the cassette automatically does too?
    amc
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If the new chain jumps you are too late and will have to replace the cassette. If it does not then you are OK till next time. Look at the cogs you use most and if they are developing a 'hooked' appearence then they are probably done for. I can usually get about 3 chains from 1 cassette using Ultegra ones with mid priced chains (£15 ish tops).
    The first time I fitted a new chain to my MTB (and did not test ride it) was just before a Trailquest in Kielder. I found it was jumping 50 mtrs from the start. An hour later it was fine and all was well for the rest of the year. They do bed in. New chain and cassette for the next year though.