spinning ?

2»

Comments

• Mike Willcox
    Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
    I'm very happy for other riders to train and race in big gears and low cadence. Less competition in races
  • Thanks OLDWELSHMAN:
    I do however believe (from experience) that using really high gears and low cadence in winter and cold is not good for knee joints.

Since I am taking up cycling due to wear & tear on my knees (from years of running & football), I will bear that in mind.
    Ride On ...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    There is a theory, which I tend to believe, that states that riding at higher cadences
    (85-95) is physically more difficult and uses more oxygen than riding at the same speed
    using lower cadences(50-80). However, because lower cadences produce more
    lactic acid the brain sees them as inefficent and tells the body that higher is better.
    According to this theory this is why most pro riders and people who "ride lots"
    tend to all arrive at the 85-95, give or take a bit, cadence on their own, without any
    coaching. It seems easier to the brain and that's who rules in the end.
    Please take this as only my interpetation of a rather long winded article I read some
    time ago. Just food for thought. If I recall I think I posted a link to this article on this forum.
    Give it a shot, it's a tough read.

Dennis Noward
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,762
    Masher Vs Spinner?

They are not mutually exclusive as any Single-speeder who lives in non-flat terrain will tell you.
    You can learn to do either. Helps to be able to adapt.
    :wink:
  • ndodd
    ndodd Posts: 54
    :shock and theres me thinking i was asking a simple question: