The pill and athletic performance

La cucaracha
La cucaracha Posts: 71
I've noticed that when I'm on the pill I'm a bit slower on the bike and was wondering;

a) Is this just some strange coincidence or is there any logical explanation?
b) Has anyone else experienced the same or is it just me?

Comments

• blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    I don't think you'll get much joy from this forum - I suggest you try:

www.shecycles.com/forum
  • This recent study highlights the issue, investigated the various research undertaken and concludes that research to date is not of a standard required to provide any conclusive thoughts on the matter:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17595152

Which, to be frank, I find to be a dreadful gap in our understanding of the physiological impacts of such a common range of medications amongst female athletes. :?

But I would be delighted to learn of more on this if others are aware of better information.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I can imagine that the Pill which mimics pregnancy in simplistic hormonal terms will affect you metabolism, fatstorage etc in as far as pregnancy has an effect on such things normally. Some women's bodies remain largely unaffected by pregnancy - so too with the pill. Research is inconclusive and its probably a very personal thing.
    Getting pregnant really spoils your cyling opportunities tho' so you need to make a choice - contarceptive that works or pregnant!
  • alzeb
    alzeb Posts: 35
    get onto the team estrogen website their forum is awesome for women,i mean REALLY awesome!they know these things!im no help on the matter,never bleed and infertile,but this lot would know!
  • stevejmo7
    stevejmo7 Posts: 69
    Luckily men don't need to take chemicals to prevent fertility - new research shows that if you simply put a stone in your shoe, it makes you limp.
    I must say goodbye to the blindfold
    And pursue the ideal
    The planet becoming the hostess
    Instead of the meal
    Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'