When do you decide it's just too windy?

Loggerhead
Loggerhead Posts: 38
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
According to the Met Office, I cycled home tonight in a 25mph wind with 45mph gusts. The wind direction meant that I was dealing with a crosswind. It wasn't pleasant.
Tomorrow it' s forecasting 30mph with 60mph gusts - I won't be cycling!
When do you decide it's just too windy?

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I did try to ride into work on the morning of the great storm, at about 05:30

I got blown off my bike about half a mile from home so turned round and got me dad to drive me in.

So, I did try.

Curse you Micheal Fish!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    My commute home last night was into the teeth of what felt like a gale which, with added driving rain plus it being pretty much uphill all the way home, did have me thinking about calling the wife to come and pick me up in the car instead...
  • when its strong gusting and unpredictable.
    I’ll still ride in a strong head wind it horrible but at least you know its just hard work, its when it hits you on the side…..don’t like the feeling of getting blown across a lane of traffic
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    If you can walk you can ride. I have just as much balance on the bike as I do on my feet. Having said that unpredictable gusts of wind whilst riding in traffic can be tricky.
    It's all good.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    I haven't tried cycling in really strong winds. I did try to go running in gales a few months back, dodging the bits of tree that were flying across the road. When I got caught in a gust that spun me round and pointed me back towards home, I got the message!!

I don't think I would have tried cycling in that.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    When you f&rt and everyone in the street turns and stares at you.

Sorry, couldn't resist :oops:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    If I can here the gusting whilst in bed I may think twice. 8)
    FCN 10
  • When you have to Pedal downhill !!

The only time the wind holds any real fear for me is when it's a cross wind and it's gusting.
    I used the Moto this morning, and glad I did, we are not supposed to be getting the high winds in East Anglia, but are, and it's difficult to walk in, so riding a bicycle would be interesting.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Cross winds are horrible to ride in
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I had an awful ride home last Thursday evening. Strong cross winds come at me from 1 o'clock so my wheel would get hit with a blast and I would correct but as I was correct then another blast would come from the other side forcing me further into the road than I was happy with. Couldn't wait until I got home. Did think about just getting off and calling someone to come and get me.

Definitely will be more cautious about going out in the wind now. Definitely was a no no today. Blowing a gale today here and it would have been straight into the side of my bike.
  • rode into work this morning knowing that the winds would be strong this afternoon, and decided to bus home.

Went to the pub in newcastle after work had a couple of pints then went for the bus, only to find newcastle in gridlock. (redhugh bridge closed everyone using tyne bridge).

Was on the bus twenty minutes moved 10 yards and decided to get off and go back for the bike. was a hairy ride home the gusts over the tyne bridge where really bad, but got home washed changed had my tea, then went down to the local shop and the bus i was on passed 1 hour after i had got on it.

In the future i'll just bite the bullet and get on the bike.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    Nasty headwind all the way home tonight but at least the gusts were straight at me and not from the side - although one gust nearly stopped me in my tracks.
  • Adamskii wrote:
    If you can walk you can ride. I have just as much balance on the bike as I do on my feet. Having said that unpredictable gusts of wind whilst riding in traffic can be tricky.

Absolutely - its the unpredicatable nature of strong side wind gusts that is so unnerving.
    I can't agree so much on the balance of bike riding vs walking. I'm certainly more stable on my feet - I can choose a wide gait to stabilise myself if needs be. Maybe I just need stabilisers on the bike. :lol:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    If I cycled every day, and I wish I did, the choice would still be out my hands as to whether it is too windy or not. The Tay Road Bridge Join Boards By-Laws would be deciding for me!
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    If the rain is horizontal or you can't stand up
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • nwallace wrote:
    If I cycled every day, and I wish I did, the choice would still be out my hands as to whether it is too windy or not. The Tay Road Bridge Join Boards By-Laws would be deciding for me!
    You could always go via Perth if the Tay bridge is shut - you'd fly up the carse! (probably take until lunchtime to get down to Perth though, with the westerlies we've been having in Dundee).
  • Seriously though - macho chest beating apart - I was seriously scared the other day when hit by 50-60mph side winds. Am I alone in my admittion of weakness - or is everyone else so much more of a man than I am? Honest answers on a postacrd to ....
    Loggerhead ...
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Yup, I get cautious as the wind speed goes up. Luckily we don't get much in the way of 50-60mph winds down here, and on the odd occasion when we do, we're mostly in windshear, else I would be chicken!