Camel Trail

ancientbiker
ancientbiker Posts: 66
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hello all
can someone advise how rideable the Camel Trail is on a narrow tired rad bike? I would like to include it if possible in an E to E trip.
Thanks

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Very rideable on a road bike. There are the few odd stretches of path between Bodmin and Wadebridge...mostly nearer Bodmin...where you have to look where you are riding due to it being a little rough. Wadebridge to Padstow is mostly white dust.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Did this as part of my Penzance - Bristol leg of the Coast on an aairnimal with PAnaracer Technova 25 mm tyres. No real problems, but as above takes some care on rougher stretches.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When I rode it both ways when staying in the area, it was cut up from horse hooves by the railway line, Padstow area I think. This was many moons ago.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    I've ridden the trail more times than I care to remember. My Father was involved in the planning for the original route.

The entire route is ridable on any tyres.

Padstow/Wadebridge section is china clay powder and replaced every year and is flat and hard, Wadebridge/Bodmin is same stuff but heavier grade and replace every couple of years, and Bodmin/Wenford is hardpacked small gravel - All gives a hard flat surface, good for larger tyres. It was designed so that roadies could not get up too much speed

The only things to have to watch for are after rain without mudguards you get filthy, and in the sunshine the bike get dusty. There is bumpy section around Denby stables (betwen Wadebrige and Bodmin)

If you want to make a 32 mile clockwise circuit of the route crossing from Padstow to Rock on the foot ferry via St Minver and St Tudy, then PMme and I'll dig out the route card I wrote a few years back.

You should clean your chain after a ride on the trail, or rent a bike from one of the many shops in Wadebridge or Padstow
  • Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I think I'll see what the weather is like when I'm doing the Lejog and decide then whetehr to do parts of the trail.