Juicy 3's feel wooden ?

FENNER
FENNER Posts: 94
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

I have a Chris Boardman comp that comes with avid juicy 3 brakes and I feel that the performance of the front brake just isn't that great any more !This is the first bike I have had with discs and for a start they felt unbelievable.The front brake has a really wooden feel to it.I have cleaned the disc and even tried swapping the front and rear pads over but it has made no difference.The bike is about 6 months old and been ridden about once a week for up to 50 miles and I have sintered pads fitted.Should I try different pads ie organic or possibly upgrade the front brake totally ? and how involved would this be ?and rough cost.

any help greatfully recieved

laters

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    wooden as in what?

do the brakes work well?
    does the lever move a little or a lot?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FENNER
    hi

they feel like there is no bite anymore no matter how hard you pull the lever ? I used to be able to hold myself on some local steep slopes and lock the front wheel at will but now I cant on the same slopes.The lever travel seems the same as ever ?

Thanks
  • Hi i had a pair of avid jucy 3'sand the best mod i did to them was to run hope discs as they feel great now. 8)
    Jim Speed rides this pimped out SCOTT

img0496sn5.th.jpg
  • Sounds like your disc or pad is still contaminated with something. I had this problem on a Mount Vision with Hopes when the previous owner sprayed everything with GT85. I ended up replacing the discs and pads to cure it.
    Orange Clockwork 2007
    Orange 5 2007
    Just bought 2008 P7 frame (Orange fan? Me!)
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC303
    Marin Mount Vision 2005, for sale
    Stumpy HT 2006, shite, sold
    Kona Lava Dome fully rigid
  • yeah if pads arn't worn out the disc is probably contaminated. does the brake squeal at all?

Also they may need to be bled. That would explain you not feeling the bite point. i wouldn't replace the whole system, Avid are great brakes.
    I took falling off bikes...and turned it into an art!
  • FENNER
    Hi all

Think I will try cleaning the disc again and may try a new set of pads,whats the difference in the performance of sintered and organics?The brakes do squeal but only in the wet and I thought that that was standard?

Thanks
  • hmm yeah a rebleed may be the only solution but don't take my word for it. Its a lot of work and with the amount you ride your bike, probably only needs to be done every 2-3 years.

I always get pad types mixed up I think:
    Sintered: Last longer but have less power and i think their the ones that squeal.
    Organic: more power but don't last as long and pretty much disintergrate in wet, gritty conditions.

you can get mixed organic/sintered pads now but i don't know much about them. Best of both worlds or just the downsides of both?
    I took falling off bikes...and turned it into an art!