Winter hiatus, eyes open

MrKawamura
MrKawamura Posts: 192
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
Oh dear. I decided to end the winter hiatus at the weekend and went out on my bike for the first time in three months. It was an eye opener as to how much I'd improved last summer after taking up cycling in the spring, and that I'd quickly lost it all.

I struggled along for just 10 uncomfortable miles. Approaching home I was reintroduced to the joys of car dodging when someone pulled out in front of me. I decided to keep pace close behind as the car moved off, to try to make my presence known and just to have a little sprint, but there was no power in my legs at all. It was a strange sensation being physically incapable of doing something that would have been fairly easy the last time I was on the bike.

Lesson learnt: It can be easy not to appreciate gradual improvements in fitness. Now I can see more clearly the beneficial effects of sweating up and down the hills last year. I'm still about 3.5kg lighter than I was when I bought my bike a year ago. This year the whole belly has to go!

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Hang in there - the fitness comes back quicker than you'd think!
  • you want to try a 6 year lay off mate :oops:

ThoughI think if you've alrady been at a certain level it is surprising just how quickly you can get back to there abouts. Keep at it!
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    clanton wrote:
    Hang in there - the fitness comes back quicker than you'd think!

Thank God for that! I found myself in the same position a couple of weekends ago and died on my ar*e! It's when you start thinking of all the cr*p you ate / drank over Christmas and how there are consequences. While heaving myself up a hill I was passed by some bloke on a MTB, spinning it beautifully, hardly sweating and making me look like the lycra clad bell-piece I was / am...

B*stard :wink: