Quick release problem

2»

Comments

• i too run the M475 hub, so far they have put up with the abuse i throw at them- dropping off walls, stairs etc.no problems with the bearings though. what bearings do they use, how hatd are they to remove?
    if you're not crashing, you're not trying.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what is the frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pretty easy! Your mechanic should be able to take you through it. Need cone spanners. Spin the axle in your fingers to feel for bearing play/tighness and notchiness. if its smooth, then no need to service. Park Tools has a guide too.
  • i am the mechanic ! i have just never stripped one of these hubs, thought i'd get a bit of background info first, incase there is anything different about these hubs, i wouldn't want to strip it and find i'd missed a part that is unique to these hubs.
  • supersonic
    Its a very simple hub - most people start with a shimano cup and cone! Full diagrams available from Shimano.

So what is the frame?!
  • it is just a 2000 / 2001 spesh rockhopper fsr, nothing special, but i have got all the travel convertions on it to turn it into the fsr dh team. it looks something like this but in white.

http://www.joeydurango.com/pix/041707se ... _dhold.jpg

i will post pics soon.
  • what do you think?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so whan was the last time the linkage bearings were looked at?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • about 2 months ago at work, to be honest i haven't ridden it for about 6 weeks until today.
    the bearing all seem to be fine.
  • whelieking27
    whelieking27 Posts: 341
    edited January 2008
    the halo skewers will / should solve the issue of the wheel "twisting".so i will order the skewers when i get in from college tommorow.
    even if they work, i will get a whole new rear end in february after i've got my motorbike. ,that way i can eliminate all the possible causes.

any way what do you guys think of these bikes?
  • supersonic
    Looks like a decent rig for a spot of DHing, nothing too big though!
  • what colour do you think would look best on one of them. cream or matt white (both with black specialized decals / writing ) ?
  • I have launched it down flights of stairs, dropped 10ft high walls, even off the schools french block roof, and have had no problems from it yet, (apart from the twisting wheel problem of course.).
    and it is one of the most easy to wheelie bikes in the world.

eventualy, once i have got this one fixed and my 125 motorbike, i want to get something more like the specialized big hit or the pitch. have you got any experience with either of these.
  • supersonic
    Check the whole of the bike is in alignment, sounds like its had some hammer!

As for colour, as my Zaskar was voted second ugliest forum bike (on another forum!) I wouldnt trust me!
  • whats up with the zaskar, looks alright to me. as for alignment , i have looked at it from every angle possible and cannot see any misalignment. i have put a spirit level along the side to check for twisting, and there is no twisting.
    how would you go about testing it?
  • supersonic
    There is a method using string - best to google!

Yeah, I think the Zaskar looks sound - these inferior forums ;-)
  • will google it, got homework to do for my a levels first.
    as for the zaskar it looks a nice tidy bike, how old is it, it looks brand new in the pictures.
  • supersonic
    Its a 96 frame, with original headset, seatpost, and a 94 XTR rear mech. Just had the rest of the drivetrain upgraded. Crossmax wheels, Skareb fork, RF NEXT bars - light and very fast!
  • it's that old and in better condition than most 2007/8 bikes. you must be every bikes dream owner ! that is one clean and tidy bike you have.
  • supersonic
    Ha, dont ride it too much though! But in the past its had a right thrashing, up close a few dents and scars!
  • that is to be expected of a bike of that age though really
  • SOLVED!!!!!!! i put a washer with a grip pattern (so it bites ) between the q/r and the frame. the wheel no longer "twists" .

Before you all get on to me about the safety issues involved in this fix, it is only temporary, untill payday.