Mavic Crossride advice

teacherman
teacherman Posts: 454
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
I ride mainly XC with regular jaunts around red route at Dalby.

To lighten bike I'm replacing a few components. Rebas are in the post and wheels are next.

Question is would I be better off waiting and saving for something like Pro II's and getting 'em built by LBS or will crossrides do the business?
I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf

Comments

• OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    I had this dilemma recently, in the end I got mavic 717 rims on xt hubs with double butted spokes from Merlin cycles. www.merlincycles.co.uk
    They do some good offers on wheelsets and if you order a cassette with a wheel set they will install the cassette for you
    I was really pleased with the build quality from them and would definatly reccomend them. (If you can afford it go with hope pro2 hubs for the wow factor :P )
  • Yeah the bling thing with the proII's keeps drawing me back but then £130 ish for the crossrides keeps speaking to my wallet oriented sensible head!

Merlins have an excellent rep. as wheel builders - just ordered my Rebas from them as well!

Ta muchly Olly - Happy New Year.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • Merlin have a Magura factory built wheelset which are going for £149, they feature DT swiss hubs (mega expensive) and DT455 rims all factory built by DT, well light, well strong and well cheap. the hubs alone are more than the whole wheels sets price. I've had a set and they were spot on.